What non-British coins do you find in change in Great Britain?

Started by BC Numismatics, November 19, 2008, 11:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Here's a thread that will really be of interest to the members who live in the 4 countries of Great Britain.What coins,apart from British,do you or have you found in change?

Aidan.

africancoins

This thread may actually be of more interest to collectors in the rest of the world - you may be surprised at what we have had in our change....

In August from a colleague I got a Falkalnd Islands 1987 1 Pound coin that they had received in change in England.

Similarly - I got a Gibraltar 20p 2004 (with a skull image) in June last year.

and a few Isle of Man (even a 1998 2 Pound coins many years ago) and a few other Gibraltar pieces over the years... even one or perhaps 2 pieces from St Helena + Ascension.

Also a few Jersey and a few Guernsey.........   Jersey 1 Pound 1998 more than once.

Also.... A Canadian 25c that had been mistaken for a 10 Pence (on two occasions I think).....

Scotish papermoney - not very often at all. Papermoney from Northern Ireland - never seen.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

Paul,
  That's a very nice lot of coins that you have come across.

Prior to the withdrawal of the old coins over here,we mainly got Aussie 5c.,10c.,& 20c. coins in change.I once got a British large 10p. in change for 20c. in the early 1990's.Of course,we used to get a lot of the New Zealand 6d.,1/-,& 2/- coins,as they were still legal tender for 5c.,10c.,& 20c. respectively.

One time,the younger of my 2 sisters got a South African 1979 1c. coin in change prior to 1990,when 1c. & 2c. coins were still legal tender.

As for Pacific Islands coins,we mainly got Fijian 5c.,10c.,& 20c. coins.One time,I got a Cook Islands 1c. coin in change,& only once did I get a Papua New Guinean 5 Toea in change.

Ah,those were the days.

Does anyone still find Irish 1p. & 2p. coins in change?

Aidan.

translateltd

On a trip to the UK about 20 years ago I took all the circulated British loose change I had in my scratch trays and took it to the bank to change for notes, and the teller went though the lot and picked out an Irish florin that I'd left in, saying they wouldn't accept that one.

Here in NZ the oddest coin I ever had in change was a 1973 Greek 5 drachmai (the Pegasus type) from the corner shop in the mid-1970s; US quarters were common as 10c pieces, dimes as 5c, etc., and the Singaporean coins used to circulate for half their nominal value (20c as 10c, 10c as 5c), which was pretty good at the time as I think the exchange rate was something like three Singapore dollars to one of ours, unlike today when they are quite close to par.

tonyclayton

Here in the UK I have had pound coins from Gibraltar (quite often) and Ascension Island (twice).
Otherwise it is the 20p that comes up most often, from Guernsey and the Isle of Man, one Guernsey 50p, and a couple of 2p from Jersey..

I have not seen 'foreign' coins, although shop-keepers that I know quite often get strange items in bags of coin from the bank.

BC Numismatics

Tony,
  Can you please post up some photos of your non-British coins that you got in change?

Great Britain is a numismatist's paradise,especially for getting coins from such countries as St. Helena & Ascension & the Falkland Islands.

New Zealand is now a numismatist's graveyard - dead boring!

Aidan.

paddyirish

In the last 3 months, I've found the following

2 X Isle of Man 1997 TT 50p
1 x New York State Quarter
1 X St Helena, 1 x Jersey, 2 different Isle of Man  and 2 different Gibraltar £1 coins
Isle of Man and Guernsey 2p
Jersey and Gibraltar 20p
Jersey 10p

and these are the ones I can remember without looking up my album.

Very lucky with interesting circulating change here- with commemoratives and these varieties.    Also, as my folks have just moved to Donegal (Republic of Ireland), so I get to see some interesting stuff in my change, including the new 2008 Cypriot Euro coins, which have moved the breadth of the EU very quickly.  This seems like numismatic paradise compared to when I was in New Zealand (2001-2005 when I found a couple of Aussie coins and a few pre-decimal shillings and florins) - however  that's about the only positive about moving back here :-( .

BC Numismatics

Quote from: paddyirish on January 25, 2009, 09:52:08 AM
In the last 3 months, I've found the following

2 X Isle of Man 1997 TT 50p
1 x New York State Quarter
1 X St Helena, 1 x Jersey, 2 different Isle of Man  and 2 different Gibraltar £1 coins
Isle of Man and Guernsey 2p
Jersey and Gibraltar 20p
Jersey 10p

and these are the ones I can remember without looking up my album.

Very lucky with interesting circulating change here- with commemoratives and these varieties.    Also, as my folks have just moved to Donegal (Republic of Ireland), so I get to see some interesting stuff in my change, including the new 2008 Cypriot Euro coins, which have moved the breadth of the EU very quickly.  This seems like numismatic paradise compared to when I was in New Zealand (2001-2005 when I found a couple of Aussie coins and a few pre-decimal shillings and florins) - however  that's about the only positive about moving back here :-( .

Alasdair,
  We used to always get coins from Fiji & Australia in change.I can remember one time when I got a British large 10p. coin in change as 20c..

It's a bit strange to get an American Quarter in change in the U.K.

As for Euro coins,I am only collecting Cypriot,Irish,& Maltese.

Aidan.

tonyclayton

Quote from: tonyclayton on November 23, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

I have not seen 'foreign' coins, although shop-keepers that I know quite often get strange items in bags of coin from the bank.

That is now an obsolete comment!  The other day I got an Austrian 2 eurocent coin in change pretending to be a penny (and I did not notice until later in the day!).

As the euro and pound are virtually at parity, I made a 100% profit (of a penny!).  I must say that the best investment I have recently made was retaining that small number of euro notes I keep in my desk drawer!

BC Numismatics

Tony,
  Have you found any more non-British coins in change recently?

Aidan.

tonyclayton

Quote from: BC Numismatics on March 26, 2009, 12:59:30 AM
Tony,
  Have you found any more non-British coins in change recently?

Aidan.

Afraid not.

Not even many fake pound coins.

UK Decimal +

Certainly, but I can't quote full details as I pass them on to my nephew who 'saves' rather than 'collects' them.   I'll have to go through his collection some time.

Some Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

I got a €uro 10c, 2002 but I dont recognise where it's from.   It has an interesting mintmark which looks like two L interlocking diagonally or an open topped 4 with a tail under its foot which is placed to the bottom right of the large '10'.   That was in place of a 5p.

Best probably was a few weeks ago, US Maryland quarter in place of a 10p.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

a3v1

Quote from: bilnic on September 08, 2009, 03:20:17 AM
I got a €uro 10c, 2002 but I dont recognise where it's from. It has an interesting mintmark which looks like two L interlocking diagonally or an open topped 4 with a tail under its foot which is placed to the bottom right of the large '10'. That was in place of a 5p.
Bill,
The two interlocking L are the inititals of the designer Luc Luycx. But that is on the European (general) side of the coin. To define where your coin is from, you have to examine the other side.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

UK Decimal +

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

UK Decimal +

Also, a couple of months ago I received a 2001 €2 Netherlands in place of a 10p - nice profit!

Bill.