News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Belgian error coins

Started by Aernout, April 27, 2013, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aernout

Some belgian Error coins... as example.

I hope you like them.

Some short explanation:

- 50 francs 1987 (KM168) has a die break above the 5
- 5 Francs 1986 (KM163) has a odd rim (handmade ?)
- 5 francs yellow is blank (not struck)
- 5 francs 1975 (KM134.1) is struck on 1 franc (KM142.1) flan
- 5 francs 1975 (KM134.1) is struck on 1 franc (KM142.1) flan and eccentric
- 50 cent. 19xx (KM144) is missing a part (in the production process) and is struck eccentric.
- 5 Frank (KM117.2) has a weak struck lettering on the rim
- 5 Frank (KM117.2) has a no lettering on the rim

I hope is used the right terms and hope it is understandable

mvg,
Aernout
Start small to end magnificent - Start klein om groots te eindigen.

aristonazir

Very nice error coins. Until today, i have no error coins. Every time i take change in my hands i look them carefully, but i haven't found yet anything special...
"Η πενία πολλών εστιν ενδεής, η δ' απληστία πάντων".
"Poverty is lack of many things and greed of all"

Aristotle

Bimat

Nice error coins! :) How common are these? Belgian Mint has produced quite a lot error euro coins since 2002 (after switching to Euro)..Most of the Belgian Euro coins I receive these days have rotated dies, that shows how poor quality control is at Belgian Mint. Not sure if that was the case in pre-euro days too...

BTW I like the rightmost coin in the second row! That's a very cool find!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Aernout

Thanks !

These are not so rare. 

The error coins you find in all decades of the belgian history.
The most start from the 60's after they moved in the new building (with new and faster machinery ?). Idem for the 80's and 90's are there a lot of 'bad quality' coins. Also you can see the same in the euro coins.

If you want i put some other coins (photos) here as example.

mvg,
Aernout

SpaBreda

Here's one you can find relatively easily.
A 5 Franc with a missing central strike on the first E

And below that a messed up date (looks like the digits are welded on the coin one by one !  ;)

Paul.

Figleaf

Messed up is an understatement. The best I can make of this is a triple strike, where the coin moved both clockwise and anti-clockwise before getting its final stamp. But why was the coin not ejected from the machine? One scenario is that the coin struck before it got stuck in the press and blocked yours. Or maybe a loose hanging die interfered with the ejection mechanism - which would be the better explanation if the other side is normally struck. If so, I would expect traces of the country name and denomination to the left and right of where they finally ended.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

SpaBreda

Nothing wrong with the rest of the coin ...
There seems to be extra metal under both nines (a bigger piece) and some extra metal under the 1 and 3.
I thought it was metal from a previously filled die that came loose again on this coin ...

Paul.

Figleaf

Underneath the second digit (looks like a 9) I see an A-formed shape, hat could be a mintmark or mint director's mark.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Aernout

Quote from: Figleaf on November 04, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
Messed up is an understatement. The best I can make of this is a triple strike, where the coin moved both clockwise and anti-clockwise before getting its final stamp.

I rather think the die was damaged around the date, causing a number of die breaks.

mvg,
Aernout