Author Topic: Muhammad Shah Rupee, Surat, Ba-lutf-Ullah type, KM#434.4  (Read 778 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Muhammad Shah Rupee, Surat, Ba-lutf-Ullah type, KM#434.4
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
 Muhammad Shah, AR rupee, Surat, 11.45g, AH1132/ year one (ahad), KM-434.4, with royal titles ba-lutf-ullah, badshah-e zaman, bold strike on broad flan, lovely Extremely Fine. Most of the times on this type the Hijri date is only partially visible but on this coin it is completely visible.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:45:32 PM by PeaceBD »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Muhammad Shah Rupee, Surat, Be-luft-e-Allah type, KM#434.4
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Sorry Bushan, if this is the info some seller or auction house gave you, it is quite incorrect. See these coins in Zeno and the legend is: 'ba-Lutf-Ullah Badshah-i-Zaman'.
1) The strike is not bold.2) In fact, I am a bit skeptical about the coin by appearance. I have 2 or 3 and a few half's also and the coin looks a bit odd. Rings a warning but am not sure of why or am unable to put a finger to the cause.
3) Date to me reads 1131 and not 1132.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
WARNING. I am far from an expert. I have seen a few more Surat rupees, though. This one seems to have script lines that are just a bit too wiry, compared to the others. Is that maybe what strikes you as odd? Another thing I noticed is the long line on the right picture, starting at around 10 o'clock. It seems significantly less worn than the other lines, that have more rounded, even flattish tops. I can't think of a reason, so I find it odd.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »
Some interesting coins came out of Surat at this time. Everything is in the right place and it is (11)31,

Spelling is debatable but obverse. There are a number of schools of thought on this but you can choose whatever. I have not really taken much time over it.

Biludu e illahi Muhammad
Shah
Badshah Zaman
Sikkah
Zar Dar Jahan

Standard reverse

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »
Sorry Bushan, if this is the info some seller or auction house gave you, it is quite incorrect. See these coins in Zeno and the legend is: 'ba-Lutf-Ullah Badshah-i-Zaman'.
1) The strike is not bold.2) In fact, I am a bit skeptical about the coin by appearance. I have 2 or 3 and a few half's also and the coin looks a bit odd. Rings a warning but am not sure of why or am unable to put a finger to the cause.
3) Date to me reads 1131 and not 1132.

Amit

Amit, thanks for correcting the reading of the legend. I was going with what Steve Album had on the coin tag. As Peter pointed out the execution of the script is wirey which might make you feel a bit odd about the coin. The date I read as 1132 as I have never seen a rupee of this type with 1131 date.