Author Topic: Rare Coin???Clear Image. Please attribute. weight 11.250 gm  (Read 3078 times)

Offline biplab.chorizon

• Meritorious Member
Re: Rare Coin???Clear Image. Please attribute. weight 11.250 gm
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
Sir the weight of the coin is 11.250 gm plz help

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
The CNG coin does indeed seem to be from the same die. It has a weight of 11.46 grams.
I do not know how accurately these flans were produced.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Rare Coin???Clear Image. Please attribute.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
One thing which seems to have been overlooked is that the square on the first image is well centered on both Obverse and on the reverse.... which would be rather difficult to find on a round coin.......... but of course, miracles do happen.

Amit

It wasn't overlooked really  :o I more or less mentioned that several posts back along with the fact that the coins in Gorons book do not show borders

Looking at biplabs coin then you will see that it exactly fits the square flan - the edge rim not a fraction out of alignment & added to that the two coins shown in Gorons book don't have a border rim as shown on biplaps coin which has very rounded corners similar to the  rupee photo I posted.

Do we agree that the CNG coin is of the same dies both sides ? PeaceBD suggests that it is now considered doubtful so I wonder what the outcome of that was, I notice on that coin that it fits the flan slightly askew compared to biplaps coin
Vic

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
PeaceBD suggests that it is now considered doubtful so I wonder what the outcome of that was, I notice on that coin that it fits the flan slightly askew compared to biplaps coin

When the CNG coin was auctioned there was a post on one of the FB groups about it where few prominent numismatists as well as an Indian auction house owner agreed that the coin was token and was wrongly identified/ catalogued. The person who bought it for $1200+ thought otherwise tough.
In my opinion the overall crudeness of the legend and execution makes me really skeptical about it especially knowing how beautiful and well executed some of the large round rupees are.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
When the CNG coin was auctioned there was a post on one of the FB groups about it where few prominent numismatists as well as an Indian auction house owner agreed that the coin was token and was wrongly identified/ catalogued. The person who bought it for $1200+ thought otherwise tough.
In my opinion the overall crudeness of the legend and execution makes me really skeptical about it especially knowing how beautiful and well executed some of the large round rupees are.
I agree with you. Considering its crude style I pointed my doubt. Now the weight makes it prominent. Cruder design and under weight may indicate that it is from a region where under weight was a practice. As for example, Sher shah and Islam shah rupee of Bengal type are usually of Tanka standard. But Bengal sultanate do not have any square tanka. My preliminary guess is a contemporary forgery or a contemporary token. I'll be happier if it is proved as a rare coin.

akona20

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »
It may be some type of trade token but "contemporary" is in some doubt.

Frankly it looks like cast wedding money or something similar.

The CNG coin certainly looks like the same dies but I will do a complete examination in a couple of days. At this moment host and cast but there is doubt on the CNG so who knows.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 05:02:17 AM »
It may be some type of trade token but "contemporary" is in some doubt.

Frankly it looks like cast wedding money or something similar.

The CNG coin certainly looks like the same dies but I will do a complete examination in a couple of days. At this moment host and cast but there is doubt on the CNG so who knows.

Thanks for throwing light on it sir.