Author Topic: Islam Shah Suri Paisa: 952 to 955  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Islam Shah Suri Paisa: 952 to 955, G/G D1065, mintless type
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
Well Overlord,
I certainly don't know Persian speach patterns. 

My grandmother's first language was Yiddish. She would probably write something like "I threw my baby from the train a kiss " and not "I threw my baby a kiss from the train." ;D  And believe me, my grandmother would never have thrown a baby anywhere, though she did throw kisses often.

Theory One:
Giving two links to Sher Shah is better than one alone alone.

Theory Two:
May Allah, Father of the conqueror Sher Shah, of whom Islam Shah is his son, perpetuate his kingdom. 

Hmm. I don't like theory Two. Theologically, it sounds too Christian rather than Islamic. I'll go with theory One.
richie

I think the phrase "Abu’l Muzaffar" could have implied "The father of the people who have conquered (this land)".

I don't know if this is correct, but the inscription would make perfect sense this way:

"Father of the victorious, Islam Shah, son of Sher Shah Sultan, may god perpetuate his kingdom."

Initially, I thought that the coin may have been issued by Islam Shah's son (in his father's name) during a long military campaign on his father's behalf (proclaiming the son as the "conqueror"). I abandoned this thory when I learnt that Islam Shah's son, Firuz Shah, was assasinated when he was 12. His age would make him too young to undertake a military campaign on his father's behalf.

It could also be that the literal translation doen't convey the exact meaning.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:16:52 PM by Rangnath »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Islam Shah Suri Paisa: 952 to 955
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »
Father of the conqueror must be seen symbolic and not in a sence of a family relation. This kind of expressions are often found in the Islamic culture. In modern times Saddam Hussain spoke about the Mother of all wars.
In this respect he (Islam Shah) represented the Supreme Congueror.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Islam Shah Suri Paisa: 952 to 955
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
Goron/Goenka D1065 is a mintless type.