Author Topic: Hungary, 1 Korona, 1893  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Hungary, 1 Korona, 1893
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »
Obverse FERENCZ JÓZSEF I.K.A.CS. ÉS M.H.S.D.O.AP.KIR. (Franz Joseph by the Grace of God Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary, Croatia, Slavonia, Dalmatia)
Mint mark: K.B. for Körmöcbánya (now Kremnica, Slovakia)

Reverse Crown of St. Stephen, 1 Korona, 1893

Edge inscription BIZALMAM AZ ŐSI ERÉNYBEN (My trust in the ancient virtue)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Hungary, 1 Korona, 1893
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »
Nice coin, beautifully photographed, Overlord. Thanks. Your analysis is of course correct and complete.

This is a coin of a decaying empire. The emperor is still portrayed in Roman style, but the title of Roman emperor has disappeared. The use of the Hungarian crown (long in the US, now back in Hungary) and language shows the independence mindedness of the Hungarians, who once saved the empire from its enemies. The oak, symbol of strength, is trumped by wheat. This last huzzah is a solid, good looking silver coin showing an aging man with a troubled family. He wouldn't be the last emperor, but he was almost...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Hungary 1893 1 Korona.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »
Amit,
  That is one very nice coin that you've got there.There is a couple of scarce dates for this coin,but I can't remember which ones they are off hand.

Aidan.