Author Topic: Tanka (double dam) of Akbar, Dated Ilahi 4x, Mint: Bairat.  (Read 863 times)

Offline DarshanBaweja

Tanka (double dam) of Akbar, Dated Ilahi 4x, Mint: Bairat.
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
40 gm copper coin

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Please Help in identification
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
Mughal empire : It's a tanka (double dam) of Akbar dated Ilahi 4x /  mint is Bairat.
A scarce coin.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
I wonder what the incentive was for a 40 gram copper coin. Did people use it as a handy exact source of material for copper objects, or was it indeed commonly traded? With its size, it can't have been seen as "small change" - imagine carrying a bunch of these in your wallet! Just eleven would weigh close to a pound!

Truly an interesting coin. I gather that even many dams are scarce, and many double dams are even scarcer.

The coin looks circulated indeed. I can imagine that, when stored together with many other coins of its size, the chip marks from coins slamming into each other can be imagined as quite severe, compared to tiny little, say, ½ falus coins banging together in a purse.

akona20

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »
Just catching up on a few threads. The coin of this size was mostly a coin of account and rarely produced. Tankas of Akbar are rather rare in any condition.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Re: Tanka (double dam) of Akbar, Dated Ilahi 4x, Mint: Bairat.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:21 AM »
Interesting! Do you have any input as to how the coin looks so circulated if it was mostly used for accounting and not in circulation among the common populace? Is it simply a matter of the material being soft and the age being great?

akona20

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10:28 AM »
Shahpurshah Hodivala the great Indian numismatists in a minor treatise on this subject raised the point and it was followed by a minor set of points by Whitehead. the conclusion reached, the Tanka (40 grams weight) was indeed an accounting coin although numbers were struck in a narrow range of dates. There has been some confusion in earlier writings between the dam and Tanka. I agree with that conclusion.

As for the aspect of "worn" many Akbar copper coins were in circulation for several hundreds of years and wear would be a factor of course in many of them. However in an incidental discussion elsewhere I suggested that many of these coins were in fact cold struck which would leave a rather shallow impression in the first place and with die wear they could look "worn' when struck. There was no negative response to that suggestion.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:10:31 AM »
Thank you very much for your thought-provoking response!

So this means that DarshanBaweja's coin might hypothetically be a coin with little to no wear, simply struck with an old, worn, rusty die! I can imagine how that would leave a very weak impression in the metal, especially when the flan was not heated prior to the strike as you suggest.

I guess it is a matter of "tried and true". Cold-striking of coins has been known at least since the 3rd century BC, used in Illyria and other places. It was a well-established custom. Craftsmen knew how to do it, it required less technological skill than more advanced production methods so it was more economically viable. At least these are my thoughts without knowing much!