Author Topic: Akbar. Dam. Mint: Akbarpur. AH 981.  (Read 5527 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar. Dam. Mint: Akbarpur. AH 981.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
Thanks a ton Arthur. However, this is in stark contrast to what Abhishek has mentioned about why he classified the 3 coins as different types.......... I think, this being not one of the main Akbar mints, the die cutters were less experienced.......also all 3 coins being of the same date also make me wonder why 3 types in one year and that too when these coins were issued for a very small period (I presume) as all the 4 coins above and the one on Zeno are of the same date and all look different.

Amit

I think another important point we might be missing here with these 3 different types is the mintage. The case I am trying to make is if the mintage of this particular mint was huge for that single year then it would explain why they went through multiple hand cut dies each creating a variety of its own based on the skills of the die cutter. Conversely we can say seeing these 3 varieties in just one year the mintage from this particular mint for that year would have been huge. Just a thought.

akona20

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
It is not common but not uncommon for a mint to issue more than one "type" of copper during this reign. What we need to look is to work out if they are they same mint (names or partial names showing may hide a truth) or whether they are part of a special coinage. Some Akbar coins certainly could fall into both of these categories.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 03:14:55 AM »
What we need to look is to work out if they are they same mint (names or partial names showing may hide a truth) or whether they are part of a special coinage.
As you have been saying, old errors are repeated without giving a second thought to these two very critical points. Further researh in this direction, though likely to upset many, is the need of the hour.......

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:39 AM »
How well I remember recently when I ignored a reasoned suggestion from you for some three months about a mint location and when the investigation was finally launched it was found that you were indeed correct and many, many chapters in books have to be rewritten.  The fun of the chase. Now we have Akbarpur which has a reasoned answer but will they be accepted?

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »
Well Merta and Mirath was fun........ and I think Salimabad will be another one. Dakhil yet more complcated as is Akbarpur......... the fun goes on.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »
No Salimabad and Dakhil are solved to my mind but there is argument over my interpretation of the meaning (on the coins) of Dakhil. We can use the standard meaning or we can use a poetic meaning using Persian meanings.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
A mint location for Akbarpur has been found and based on mughal presence ., A lot of what was thought abou certain mints are relooked at prescence.
Dr.Abhishek