Author Topic: Shah Jahan Rupee, Mint Dehli. Please help find the date.  (Read 668 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Shah Jahan Rupee, Mint Dehli. Please help find the date.
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »
A Rupee of Dehli in the name of Shah Jahan. I am unable to spot the date which should be around 10 O'clock position on the obverse. Please help. (I agree the area is worn out and the date may never be seen).........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan Rupee, Mint Dehli. Please help find the date.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Here's an old trick. Find out what the possible dates are and eliminate characters you can deduce. Hold the coin in different angles in the sunlight (early mornings and late afternoons, when shadows are long, are best) while staring at the date. Keep changing the angle until you find the approximate angle where the characters come out best. Now move the angle only slightly and keep staring. Chances are that the light and shadow play allow you to read the date. Good luck.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
Thanks Peter. This type was issued for a period of around 12 to 15 years. 1040's to the early 1050's. I tried your trick but to no awail. In fact, I was more confused. However, will try it again tomorrow........

Amit
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:17:08 AM by asm »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »
That helps. I think it is 1047.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:17:28 AM by asm »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
My apologies Peter for a grave error.......... I had mentioned the dates as 1140's when in fact it should have been 1040's and I have corrected both the above posts.

However, it seems not the way the date is written. If you see this coin, you will see how the date is written.

Amit