Author Topic: Jahangir - Mint: Kotri. AH 1022?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Jahangir - Mint: Kotri. AH 1022?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
Husain Makda (our member) is working on this and I am sending him my coins soon for study. Would love if any members who have high quality images of the coins of Daryakot or Kotri forward the images to him or to me (for onward transmission to him).

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
Here are Arthur Needham's views:

I have been referred to a thread on WOC about Kotri copper coins.
Please note that in this instance I agree with Dr Bhandare and the spelling is Dariba. So we have Dariba Kotri.  Probably minting took place there for many years.

Amit

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
Even if it is Dariba Kotri.. Why is Kotri spelt with Kaf+ waw + ye+ te+ re +ye?? Koitiri??
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
I'm not an expert in reading  perfectly but able to make mostly.

I read these posts here and at Fbk , earlier debate has been for two mints
Daryakot & Kotree , now we find verdict is for 3rd name Dariba Kotiri based on more specimens turned up and with more legends .

Does  all these 3 places located firmly ? and based on other  ruler's  coins it is possible to compare  further these Jahangir coppers , just an idea.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
I read these posts here and at Fbk , earlier debate has been for two mints
Daryakot & Kotree , now we find verdict is for 3rd name Dariba Kotiri based on more specimens turned up and with more legends .
What was read earlier was different parts of the name because, the coin was struck from different parts of the die.The error in reading was that Dariba was read as Dariya.......and the kot of Kotri/Kotree or what ever....... making the reading as Daryakot. Where the Dariya was not read the name Kotri/ree was seen making two different mints.

Does  all these 3 places located firmly ? and based on other  ruler's  coins it is possible to compare  further these Jahangir coppers , just an idea.
The issue of re-reading the coins came about since Daryakot was not being located in records. There is a place called Kotri which is known but not Daryakot. Now there is only one place called Kotree with the suffix Dariba.

Amit

As regards the issue of the reading, with more coins coming to light, may be the mystery will be solved.