Author Topic: Akbar: Ilahi Silver Rupee "Jalla Jalalahu" type  (Read 3613 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Akbar: Ilahi Silver Rupee "Jalla Jalalahu" type
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »
Mughal Empire, Jalaluddin Mohammed Akbar, Silver Square Rupee, mintless & dateless, Jalla Jalalahu type

Mughal Empire, Jalaluddin Mohammed Akbar, Silver Rupee, Patna mint, RY 48, Jalla Jalalahu Ilahi type

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:56:16 AM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar: Ilahi Silver Rupee "Jalla Jalalahu" type
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
The jury is still out whether the legend "Allahu Akbar Jalla Jalalahu" signifies 'God Is Great, Glory be Onto Him' or was it meant to personally glorify the legacy of Akbar with a pun on his name to signify 'Akbar is Great, Let His Glory Shine Forth'.

akona20

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
Such a statement must only have come from someone who has not read Islam.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
Interesting pair. Beautifully preserved, centrally and carefully struck.

To mine untrained eye, the "square" variant look more religious in character. A coin to ponder in the shadow of a tree in a green garden. The round variety looks more like a business item. The delight of a bean counter, a sign of success or maybe even approval.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
Lovely analogy Peter.

Ansari

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
 " Allahu akbar " or takbir is an Arabic term which means "God is Greatest".
The term Allahu Akbar Jalle Jala la Hu is an age old term (older than Akbar).
So literally His coins were repeating the age old term for glorifying God.

But on the other hand Akbar was very smart quiet possible something else was going in His mind, on careful analysis on His conduct I can say He was trying to become a Prophet!

Last month Mr Liddle told me that initially He changed the sequence on his coins from Allahu akbar to Akbar Allah but had to withdraw due to outrage.

I can only say God knows best what were His true intentions!

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
Ansari thanks for your view. It is well known that in Year 29 (or 30) of Akbar's reign, he was experimenting with a new religion 'Din-i-elahi' the outcome of which were the elahi type coins. This new religion would no doubt have outraged the Ulema (muslim religious scholars). If Akbar could propogate such a bold move to form a new religion despite the objection or advice of the Ulema or a deliberate attempt to ignore and override their guidance, I wouldn't give it past him to glorify himself before the subjects with an eye to leave a lasting legacy behind.

In those days, the King was supreme, he ordered and did what he wanted and people obeyed else chop-chop and kids had a new football to play with! Apparently, Akbar also commanded his courtiers to adopt the Persian etiquette of 'Zaminbos' - a full length prostration on the ground as mark of honour and respect to the Badshah (I tried Zaminbos with my boss during bonus discussions and all I got was peanuts, next time I'll use my Demetrious elephant coin to trample him). This practice was disapproved by the Ulema as an attempt by Akbar to consider himself as godlike and later abolished by Shah Jahan.

That the 'Din-i-ilahi' died with Akbar is a separate matter. The elahi coins wouldn't have surprised or considered outlandish either to the majority populace as for time immemorial, the Indian king/ruler has always been viewed as the incarnation of God or designed to rule with the blessing of gods hence Akbar's elahi coins would only have been a continuation of past familiar trend.

It's my guess and no one can be sure of the actual motive behind the elahi creed on Akbar's coins.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:22:16 PM by mitresh »

akona20

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
Ummm

I suggest a reading of Smith, Chaudry and also Ali and one or two others on this topic.

A union of Hindu and Islam as a political movement was an interesting development. Bias in history is somewhat interesting and often short cut easy answers confuse the underlying reality of what was actually happening.