News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Akbar dam, mint Mertha or Mirath 987 A.H

Started by abhinumis, February 09, 2013, 07:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all,
Today acquired this nice looking and clean dam of Akbar.. Wt-20.3 gms.. Kindly attribute.. Date seems to be 987 or 978??
Dr.Abhishek

akona20

This coin is described in Valentine and dated 987. However perhaps there is a more updated reading.

The mint in Valentine is described as Meerut=Mirath or Mirtha

saro

The date is 987 as we can clearly read  :"nuhsad wa hashtad wa..." in letters =98x
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

Mirtha or meerut is a scarce mint of Akbar AFAIK going by only one example in Zeno and 2 other example here on WOC by Amitji(asm). Is my inference correct??
Dr.Abhishek

asm

Yes. It appears these are difficult to get but, not so scarce now........I believe Overlord to has one or may be two .........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

abhinumis

That makes hardly 10 coins pics of this mint online if u start searching .. I would still call it scarce.. What say??
Dr.Abhishek

saro

Dear Abhinumis, my feeling is that you may call Mirath a scarce mint for Akbar's coppers.

I have gathered the copper coins of Akbar from different data sources (Lahore museum / Calcutta / Lucknow and Zeno ) with a  total of 1267 coins; that gives for  few mints :

Ahmadabad (72 coins) : 5,68%
Ajmer (60 coins) :           4,74%
Alwar ( 11 coins):           0,87%
Bairata 54 coins) :         4,26%
Delhi ( 142 coins):        11,21%
Dogaon (86 coins):         6,79%
Mirath (1=zeno): 0,08%
Narnol (169 coins):       13,34%
Urdu Zafar Qarin (82 coins): 6,47%

Even if catalogues of mughal coins are recent editions, that may give a good idea of scarcity of coins...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)