Author Topic: Russia commemorates Patriotic War of 1812  (Read 7366 times)

paisepagal

Re: Russia commemorates Patriotic War of 1812
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »
First of all, I do not like the concept of such "heroic battles" series. But if any country (hmm, its government) wants to do that, that is not my business. As for what could be depicted on such a coin ... a painting that shows some battle scene maybe, or a "map" maybe. A mere double date (1813 - 2013) could work too -- ah no, not if one wants to issue dozens of such pieces. ;)

Side note: Germany will fortunately not issue a Völkerschlacht coin; Deutsche Post will make a commemorative stamp though. The theme, however, will not be the 200th anniversary of the battle but the 100th anniversary of the monument. A monument which I have visited and found very interesting with its (today's) message, I might add.

Christian

Yes a painting would look very nice indeed , and if I'm not mistaken, there is indeed one relatively famous painting of the battle at Leipzig . But I can't imagine it being easy to fit it on a two rouble coin.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Russia commemorates Patriotic War of 1812
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
And one more note: all the known coins have some defects. The sellers don't know why.

Interesting, could you please explain what kind of error(s) / defects these coins have?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »
Interesting, could you please explain what kind of error(s) / defects these coins have?

Aditya

Ring of scratches at the reverse. Some problems with the dies, I suppose. Some sellers said that these coins are so expensive because most of the mintage may be recalled from the banks, remelted and changed for another issue. But now these coins are getting cheaper, so the recall didn't happen.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

akona20

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »
Reference the comment on the Battle of Berezina, if you were a French camp follower I bet you thought it was a French loss.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
Received the set of 26 coins today (16 x 2 Rubles + 10 x 5 Rubles).. :)

Attaching scans, note that these are NOT actual pics.

2 Rubles: Commanders and Heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812

M.I. Kutuzov, General Field-Marshal
M.B. Barklay de Tolly, General Field-Marshal
P.I. Bagration, Infantry General
L.L. Benningsen, Cavalry General
P.H. Witgenstein, General Field-Marshal
D.V. Davidov, Leitenant General
D.S. Dohkturov, Infantry General
N.A. Durova, Staff Captain
A.P. Yermolov, Infantry General
Kozhina Vasilisa, organizer of partisan movement
A.I. Kutaisov, Major General
M.A. Miloradovich, Infantry General
A.I. Osterman-Tolstoi, Infantry General
N.N. Rayevsky, Cavalry General
M.I. Platov, Cavalry General
Emperor Alexander I

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »
5 Rubles: Battles and Significant Events of the Patriotic War of 1812 and of Foreign Campaigns of Russian Army in 1813-1814

Battle of Smolensk
Battle of Borodino
Battle of Tarutino
Battle of Maloyaroslavets
Battle of Vyazma
Battle of Krasnoye
Battle of Beresino
Battle of Kulm
Battle of Leipzig
Capture of Paris

Aditya

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
Those who have the complete set are required to read "War and Peace". You get no stars for watching the 1956 Hollywood film, a half star for watching the Russian version starring 75% of the Red army (warning: 7 hours!), one star for remembering the name of the character who drinks a bottle of wodka standing in an open window on the third floor, two stars for not having skipped the description of Kutuzov and his relations with the czar and three stars for remembering the names of those introduced in chapter 1. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.