Author Topic: Turku, Finland, ANGBATS POLLETT Kopek token  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Turku, Finland, ANGBATS POLLETT Kopek token
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
I'm looking for information about this 10 kopek ferry token, believed to be from Turku, Finland.

The area of Finland was part of the Russian Empire from 1809 till 1917, but they apparently used their own penni and markka coins from 1864. However, the style of this token would indicate an 1880-1910 usage. Why is it denominated in kopeks?

To the best of my knowledge the token has always been cataloged from Turku, known also as Abo in Swedish.

I have a theory. This token was not for paying the fare, but used as ship's money on the international vessels sailing from Turku to Stockholm. Many of the passengers would have been Russian. There is a similar 5 kopek token listed by the Smiths (1981).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:46:47 AM by Kushi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Turku, Finland, ANGBATS POLLETT Kopek token
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
Until 1917, rouble coins circulated side by side with markka coins at a fixed rate of 4 markkaa to the rouble. See also this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »
My problem with the reasoning that the token is denominated in kopeks because many passengers were Russian is that if that were the reason, surely both the denomination and the text on the other side (Steamboat token in Swedish) would be in Russian?

Could it by the same token (sorry) be ship's currency on the Stockholm-St Petersburg route? (Or Tallinn - my history is a bit sketchy and I'm not sure whether Estonia was part of the Russian or German empire at this time). There is after all nothing particularly Finnish about it.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:43:50 PM »
A companion 5 Kopeks is known

See tokencatalog  #217023
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »
The ship shown may be symbolic and out of proportion (like the flags), but it looks a whole lot more like a harbour ferry than like a Baltic crossing vessel.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.