News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Countries with banknotes & coins of the same denomination

Started by BC Numismatics, August 12, 2008, 12:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Here's a section where we can discuss about which countries have or did have both a banknote & a coin of the same denomination in circulation at the same time.

I can think of a few countries that have done this.

Canada from 1935 until around 1987 - $1 note & $1 coin.

Great Britain - 1 Pound coin & Scots & Northern Irish 1 Pound notes.

Zimbabwe - 2008 'currency reform' - $1 note & $1 coin,$5 note & $5 coin,& $10 note & $10 coin.

Ghana - since July 2007 - 1 Cedi note & 1 Cedi coin.

U.S.A. - $1 note & $1 coin.

New Zealand allowed the circulation of the $1 & $2 notes to circulate at the same time as the $1 & $2 coins until late 1991.

Can anyone else think of any other situations where this has occurred?

Aidan.

translateltd

I think Singapore $1 notes and coins circulated simultaneously - I was able to use both last time I passed through.

BC Numismatics

Martin,
  I had forgotten about the Singaporean $1 notes & $1 coins.Singapore no longer issues a $1 note.I don't know if the $1 note is still legal tender.

For a while,Malaysia had both a 1 Ringgit note & a 1 Ringgit coin in circulation.The 1 Ringgit note was discontinued.The 1 Ringgit note has since been reintroduced,albeit,with a new design,but the 1 Ringgit coin has now been discontinued.

Both India & Pakistan had 1 Rupee notes & 1 Rupee coins in circulation at the same time right up until the 1980's.The 1 Rupee notes have now been discontinued.

Bangladesh also had a 1 Taka note & a 1 Taka coin in circulation at the same time.The smallest denomination note that is now issued is the 2 Taka.I can't recall ever seeing a 2 Taka coin,but there is a 5 Taka coin though.

Aidan.

chrisild

Two from around here. :)

Germany (Federal Republic): 5 DEM 1952-2001 (primarily coins were used)
Austria: 20 ATS 1980-2002 (notes were preferred; coins after 1993 were circulating commems)

(The years refer to the time when the pieces were legal tender.)

Christian

BC Numismatics

Christian,
  Thanks for letting us know about the West German,German,& Austrian situation with the 5 Deutsche Mark & 20 Schilling coins & notes.

Aidan.

Figleaf

I believe the UK still has £5 notes. The £5 coins exist, but do not circulate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Quote from: Figleaf on August 13, 2008, 11:13:57 PM
I believe the UK still has £5 notes. The £5 coins exist, but do not circulate.

Peter

Peter,
  The British 5 Pound coins are not medal-coins in the strict sense that you can buy them for face value over the counter at a local post office.

The Canadian commemorative silver Unc. $5,$10,& $20 coins,which commemorate the 1976 Olympic Games at Montreal,Quebec,were issued at face value through some of the banks as a way of monetising the issue,which stripped these of a medal-coin status.

Aidan.

a3v1

Here's another example:
After WWII the Netherlands, because of a scarcity of metals, introduced paper notes of 1 and 2½ Guilders. The minting of silver 1 and 2½ Guilders began in 1954. When silver became too precious these were replaced by nickel coins from 1967.
The paper notes remained circulating, however, although they gradually disappeared. Only in 1988 they were finally withdrawn.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

BC Numismatics

A3v1,
  Can you please post up some photos of a Dutch Rijksdaalder (2-1/2 Gulden) note,as I am not familiar with them? I'm very familiar with the Rijksdaalder coin,especially the nickel issues of both Queen Juliana & Queen Beatrix,as we still see them a lot in old collections (although there's no way of cashing them!) that my boss buys in.He is a coin dealer himself.Yes,he sometimes travels to the Maastricht coin fair.

Aidan.

chrisild

Here is one - the 1945 issue, that is. Very "American design"; was replaced by a different one in 1949.
http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/en/items/BDM01:444/&p=1&i=3&st=Tientje%20van%20Lieftinck&sc=(Tientje%20van%20Lieftinck%20*)/

The nickel coins could of course be "cashed", for a period of about five years, but not any more. With paper you have some more time, roughly 20+ years ...

Christian

Figleaf

That's an earlier note that was withdrawn in the process of money reorganization. I don't collect notes, but happen to have on in my duplicates.

Note the word "Muntbiljet". Paper money is "bankbiljet" (banknote) in Dutch. This note was always meant as stopgap until replaced by a coin, hence "muntbiljet" (munt is coin), a word that until that time did not exist in Dutch.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  That's a very nice Dutch Rijksdaalder coin note that you've got there.I know of only one country that still issues Muntbiljetten.That country is Surinam.I think that Surinam still uses a 2-1/2 Gulden coin.I know that they were using a 250 Cent coin in the 1980's,as I did have one of those.I think that one of the current Surinamese Muntbiljetten is a 2-1/2 Dollar one,which is the same denomination as the old 250 Cent coin.

Aidan.

chrisild

In Suriname the difference between a "bankbiljet" and a "muntbiljet" is that the former is issued by the central bank while the latter is issued by the finance minister. Don't know whether that is a "universal" differentiation ...
Here are some images of Suriname gulden (pre-2004) and dollar (1 SR dollar = 1000 SR gulden) coins and notes: http://www.cbvs.sr/dutch/dollar-munten.htm

Christian

a3v1

Quote from: Figleaf on August 23, 2008, 12:12:18 PM
Note the word "Muntbiljet". Paper money is "bankbiljet" (banknote) in Dutch. This note was always meant as stopgap until replaced by a coin, hence "muntbiljet" (munt is coin), a word that until that time did not exist in Dutch.
@ Peter,
PLease allow me to disagree with that last remark. In the Netherlands since 1846 many types of "Muntbiljet" have been issued at intervals (with nominal values up to 1000 Guilders). Especially in times when demand for coins surpassed the quantities the state could supply.
The only difference between "Muntbiljet" and "Bankbiljet" (as Christian rightfully points out in his contribution on Suriname) is the issuing authority:
"Bankbiljet" = Issued by the National Bank.
"Muntbiljet" = Issued by the Ministry of Finances.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

BC Numismatics

The Dominion of Canada also had both 25c. banknotes (commonly called 'Shinplasters' because of their size) between 1870 & 1923.The 1870 & 1923 25c. 'Shinplasters' almost never seem to turn up.I've never seen an 1870 issue,but I have seen 2 examples of the 1923,of which one is in my collection.

The 1870 issues were issued right up until 1900.There are 3 types - one without a letter,one with the letter 'A',& one with the letter 'B'.They can be found located near the date.

The 1900-dated issues were issued right up until 1923.There are several different signatories.These notes do turn up a lot in the bottom grades,but dealers over here want too much (in my view!) for them.

The 1923-dated issues have several types,& 3 different signature combinations.These were withdrawn from circulation in 1935,along with all the other notes inscribed 'DOMINION OF CANADA'.

All the Dominion notes were replaced by the first issue of the current Bank of Canada (which was established as a chartered bank in 1935,& nationalised in 1938) in 1935 (which is now an issue that is virtually unobtainable by the average collector,as the prices have strengthened so high & so fast in the past 10 years or so).

Aidan.