News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Churchill

Started by mrbrklyn, December 16, 2012, 04:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

A great Brookynite - if ever there was one

<k>

His mother was American, as was his wife.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on December 16, 2012, 12:42:03 PM
His mother was American, as was his wife.

Maybe adding a portrait of his mother to the coin design would have made the Churchill Crown more popular. ;)

Christian

mrbrklyn

I think it is one of the truly great coins ever produced.  This is no silly portrait, but a sincere character study rich in mood.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/biography/genealogy/sir-winston-and-his-mother

http://nycmuseumgroup.blogspot.com/2009/04/cobble-hill-jennie-jerome-house.html

translateltd

Agreed totally - it's a coin that people either love or hate, with few in the middle ground.  I think it's outstanding, but it's probably a pity that nearly 20 million were made, as they caused a glut on the market and the object of jokes accordingly.

chrisild

Churchill's portrait on that coin I like too; have never really understood why so many don't. :)  Then again, maybe it was not "heroic" enough for some. Others may not have appreciated that "suddenly" a non-royal person was depicted on a British coin, or they would have liked to see a face value, don't know.

What I find somewhat poor is the "fat" non-serif font on the reverse. (And that is also why I have mixed feelings regarding the overall design.) Why did they not use a font like that on the obverse, maybe with "Sir Winston" and/or his birth and death years added?

Christian

translateltd

Quote from: chrisild on December 17, 2012, 01:13:57 PM

What I find somewhat poor is the "fat" non-serif font on the reverse. (And that is also why I have mixed feelings regarding the overall design.) Why did they not use a font like that on the obverse, maybe with "Sir Winston" and/or his birth and death years added?

My take is that - at the time, at least - the one word was all that needed to be said.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: translateltd on December 17, 2012, 09:32:30 PM

My take is that - at the time, at least - the one word was all that needed to be said.

I like it as it is.  Churchill is like "The Babe", or "Picaso"  The font, also,  dates to the time period when such a font design was very popular in pop culture (see Peter Max).  It represents boldness, not meticousness, or clarity.  Nor is it a reference to the past, but emphasises Churchill's vision and influence on the future, a giant that mankind can stand on the shoulders of.  I think it is one of the truly great designs, and if the US ever created such a fabulous design, the collectors market would go gaga over it.

Perhaps when it was released, it was too close to his active career, with boiled over politics still fresh in peoples minds. 

mrbrklyn

Excellent, but this one is the best.

tonyclayton

There are two varieties, differing in the shape of the R. Both are common.