Author Topic: Shah Jahan 1/2 dam Qandahar 1052 AH yr 15: Afghanistan or Deccan ?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan 1/2 dam Qandahar 1052 AH yr 15: Afghanistan or Deccan ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
@abhnumis: can you share your reasons for believing the coins is minted in the Afghan Qandahar with us?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »
Peter there are more than one reasons why this coin should be attributed to Afghan Qandahar rather than Deccan Qandahar. I'll enlist them--

1) All known coins so far(6 specimen that I could find) are half dams with no dams ever recorded. We know that right from Akbar till this coin, half dams are far more common for Afghan mints of Kabul and Qandahar. Although dam, chau tanki and do tanki is known in Akbar Kabul and quarter dam in Akbar Qandahar, they are rare and all other are essentially half dams including Jahangir Shud Rawan issues.
2) Deccan Qandahar issues in silver are known in Ry5, Ry 7 and Ry 8. No coins in any metal is known after Ry8. This coincide with the Deccan campaign of Shah Jahan and can be concluded that the issues from Deccan Qandahar were limited only during the Deccan campaign. On the other hand , Afghan Qandahar issued silvers from Ry12 till Ry 21 on regular basis. This copper coin dated Ry15 coincide when Afghan Qandahar mint was active..
3) On rigorous searching , I have come across another similar coin dating 1051AH but without Ry on flan and 1051AH/ry15. It is far more likely that an active mint issues copper than an inactive mint all of a sudden.
4) Out of these 6 coins, that I have documented in my archive, atleast 4 were definitely found in Pakistan, hence pointing towards Afghan Qandahar.
5) As Shailen Bhandare documented in his masterly article 'Numismatic vestiges of Shah Jahan's deccan campaign' published in JONS 162, the copper coins during Deccan campaign were minted in nizamashahi standard and not on dam standard including Ahmednagar, Fatehabad Dharur and Zafarnagar..
Thus I conclude.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:46:10 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »
Lovely coin Abhishek, congrats.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
Excellent, Abishek and indeed quite convincing. Thank you!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.