Shah Jahan 1/2 dam Qandahar 1052 AH yr 15: Afghanistan or Deccan ?

Started by saro, November 21, 2012, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Shah Jahan Qandahar 1052 AH / yr 15 - 10,03g -
legend : "Shah Jaha-ni falus 15" / "Qandhar zarb 1052"

This half dam of Shah Jahan isn't in high grade but is legible and from, I think, an unusual mint.
As far I know, no copper coins from Qandahar in Afghanistan, with Shah Jahan's name are known, and I think that this coin could be better from the other Qandahar in Deccan ?

Rupees of Shah Jahan are known from this Deccan mint but what about copper which seems unlisted?
A half dam may indicate that the full dam do exist, did somebody could confirm?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

saro

capnbirdseye

Vic

saro

Dear Capnbirdseye, thousand thanks for your information, I haven't seen it on zeno...
Both coins are similar and the only difference, except the AH date, is that on mine there is the ry.15  in the loop of the "s" of falus and on zeno, a dotted flower.

capnbirdseye

I think the one on zeno probably belongs to Oesho, I expect he will add comments when he sees this thread. you possibly have one of only two known 1/2 dams  of this mint  8) 8) 8)
Vic

akona20

Qandahar in Afghanistan was certainly under Mughal control at this time so it will be interesting.

Oesho

QuoteI think the one on zeno probably belongs to Oesho, I expect he will add comments when he sees this thread. you possibly have one of only two known 1/2 dams  of this mint
The coin on ZENO was auctioned at the ONS-auction in Oct. 2007 and sold for € 39,00 to a Dutch collector, not being me  :'(
It must indeed be a very rare issue, and I haven't come across any other. The provenance of the ZENO specimen is from the Pakistan/Afghanistan area, so it must be an issue of Qandahar in Afghanistan.

saro

Dear Oesho, thank you very much for your reply and light on this coin.
It appears that, like for the zeno one, this half dam is coming from the same area (Penjab and Afghanistan) together with few mughal coins from Lahore, Multan and silver and copper Durrani.
So that confirms with no great doubt that it comes from Qandahar afghan mughal mint.

May be other exemplars will appear on WoC ?... 

akona20

What a great thread. Some history and some numismatics. Combined we have a the answer.

Coinsforever

Quote from: capnbirdseye on November 24, 2012, 01:09:03 PM
I think the one on zeno probably belongs to Oesho, I expect he will add comments when he sees this thread. you possibly have one of only two known 1/2 dams  of this mint  8) 8) 8)

Does it means coins of Qandahar mint are scarce , I find most of the auctions houses keeping prices for Qandahar mint  quite high  in comparison to coins of other mints for same ruler.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

capnbirdseye

The fact that there are two known dates shows that presumably there must have been at least a small number of these minted, obviously some might be in collections where the mint is off the flan or possibly a small hoard is still waiting to be found.
Vic

rja

I've noted a couple offerings of this coin in Steve Album's lists  (He identifies this as KM-204.6 - but my most recent catalog only goes up to KM-204.5):

List 244, May 2009
812245. MUGHAL: Shah Jahan I, 1628-1658, AE ½ dam (9.93g),
Qandahar, AH1051 year 15, KM-204.6, crude f $60

List 263,  August 2011
109971. MUGHAL: Shah Jahan I, 1628-1658, AE ½ dam (7.97g),
Qandahar, AH1048, KM-204.6, vg $35

saro

Many thanks rja for these informations,  now 3 half dams are known for Qandahar : 1051 without ry (zeno), 1051 / yr 15 (S.Album) and 1052/yr15.
I have not picture of KM.204.6 but with a weight near 8g, it could be this Qandahar falus dated 1048 struck just after the city fell into Shah Jahan's hand (in 1047)??:

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=106605

This last falus fits with afghan civic copper weight, few others of this type are known (all dated 1048) which  weight between 8 and 8,5g,  may be this falus was replaced few years later by a coin of mughal standard : the 1/2 dam : +/- 10g ?

abhinumis

Here is te 4th one, dear Bernard sir. The coins are rare in my opinion and I have strong reasons to believe that they were minted in Afghan Qandahar.. mine is 1051AH/Ry15
Awaiting everyone's comments
Dr.Abhishek

saro

Quote from: abhinumis on December 01, 2017, 04:42:40 AM
Here is te 4th one, dear Bernard sir. The coins are rare in my opinion and I have strong reasons to believe that they were minted in Afghan Qandahar.. mine is 1051AH/Ry15
Awaiting everyone's comments
What a beautiful coin ! :perfect:
I agree with you upon the mint place and to say that it's a rare coin which could have been struck only for a short time at end of AH 1051 & beginning of AH 1052, to fit with the ry. 15 which is for the moment (...) the only one known.
(If I am correct, the ry. 15 starts on shahriwar 18th 1051 and ends on shahriwar 17th 1052 ).