Author Topic: Some coins from USSR 1974  (Read 8566 times)

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Re: Some coins from USSR 1974
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:27 AM »

If you are interested in reading more information about Soviet mintsets, please feel free to read them here: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/sovietset/sovietset.htm Prices are slightly outdated but they are at least worth what I have researched a few years ago.

Undoubtedly an interesting data & worth reading it.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:46:20 AM »
Thanks gxseries

Its wonderful to read the article and got a knowledge on the coin which belong to me otherwise it was just like packet of all coin and kept in my collection.

Just to confirm what metal were used to make this coins (One side is yellow and other one is white in colour)

Thanks to my friend who gave me.

Samir
S
  S
     S

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:30 AM »
Just to confirm whether is the proof set or ........... If it is valuable then please PM me

Proof sets were only in plastic boxes. This one is UNC.
And yes, it is rather scarce and valuable. (Much more valuable than the plastic box version of the same year.) At least USD 200, but some people are trying to sell them for USD 500.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline gxseries

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
ciscoins: I own both 1974 mint set in hard plastic case and soft plastic sheet. The quality looks similar and hence I am puzzled over why you wrote the diffence in quality.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »
ciscoins: I own both 1974 mint set in hard plastic case and soft plastic sheet. The quality looks similar and hence I am puzzled over why you wrote the diffence in quality.

I don't have any of them, but our experts say that they should be different. Soft plastic is "Brilliant uncirculated", and hard boxes are "Prooflike". But 1974 was the first year when the USSR managed to issue prooflike coins, so the technology could be more imperfect.

Vasiliy Kapustin, "Coins and medals" auction expert:
"1974 in soft plastic occurs very rarely. <...> Quality of the coins is improved - most likely it is Brillian Uncirculated."
"In 1974 the first "polished" sets appeared - we call them, for simplicity, hard, because the performance of coins is not proof, but rather prooflike. The tokens of the mint in the set are not round and almost square, with rounded corners."
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
The difference between unc and prooflike is subtle. I'll try to explain.

If you have an unc and a proof version of the same coin, put them side by side. If not, any proof will do. Try to imagine the coin as unc. The proof wil have two types of areas. The higher parts are milky-opaque. The lower parts are very shiny and mirroring. The same lower parts on the unc coin will be a mix of the two: a smooth surface, but with a satiny aspect that deducts just a little bit from the shine and mirroring.

A prooflike coin has the full shine and mirroring capacity of the lower parts of a proof coin, also on the higher parts and without the satin gloss of an unc. To a newbie, it may look polished. To a sad old hand like me it looks plain ugly. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
Re: Some coins from USSR 1974_Want to sell
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:50 AM »
Dear Friends

I want to sell the USSR 1974 set. If anyone is interested PM me.

I am in need of money so i am selling it. This is the first time i am selling my collection coin.

Samir
S
  S
     S