Author Topic: Shah Jahan II or III?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Husain Makda

Shah Jahan II or III?
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
Respected members, I bought this coin from an auction, They described it as Shah Jahan II Surat, but Shah Jahan II surat mughal issue has perfect mughal calligraphy, Now this coin is a complete die match of Shah jahan III surat KM#470.3 (half rupee).
Please do not confuse this one with Shah jahan III Surat Presidency issue.
Your views please.
Blessed by the Masters.

Offline Husain Makda

Re: Shah Jahan II or III?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
Oesho can you help?
Blessed by the Masters.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »
See Oesho's reply to this topic.

Yes I did see the coins, but hadn’t time to verify them with the coins of Shah Jahan II / III. After looking at them, I am convinced that none of the above coins is of Shah Jahan II. The coins of Shah Jahan II of Surat mint are all missing the three dots below the B of Zarb near the end of the R of Zarb. On the early issues these cluster of three dots is also missing, but on later dates (Ty.17 ,19, etc.) they are present. This cluster of three dots is also visible on the issues of Alamgir II and as the are also present on the above issues, Shah Jahan II can be safely ruled out. Therefore it must be issues of Shah Jahan III or native imitations of perhaps Bhaunagar (see our earlier discussion on this subject)

It is very informative and educative. He has also authored an article on the coins of Shah Jahan III which may beave been minted at a place other than Surat....Bhaunagar. As per what has been mentioned above, this is surely Shah Jahan III.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Husain Makda

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
Thanks Amit bhai, that was a perfect link. The extra joint on Jim was the reason for confusion, it resembled Shah Jahan III Maratha Ahmedabad.
Blessed by the Masters.