News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Even falser shekel

Started by bagerap, September 08, 2012, 04:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

The Gorlitzer or false shekel comes in many varieties, and some are worth serious money. A collection of 65 pieces sold for EUR 3,200, and should have done better.
I keep a few, the design appeals to me, and some of the nicer ones were made by Spencer, London; thought by many to be a forerunner of Toye, Kenning & Spencer. A good one can be in the range £40-60.
I've just picked up something strange, the top pics are of a piece from the late C19th. 36 x 3 mm, 14.9gr.
Bottom pics are of the newbie, 36 x 3.5 mm 7.1 gr. Almost certainly aluminium and possibly made yesterday.
Anyone else come across these?

Figleaf

Found that auction. The reference they use was written by Bruno Kisch, not Guido Kisch.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Yes, I know it well:

So-called "false shekels" were produced (mostly) in Europe from the 15th to the 20th centuries. Some were produced as pilgrim mementos but many were made to deceive. The majority follow the design pattern seen here, though with variants, and they exist in a variety of metals.
cf: Kisch, Bruno: Historia Judaica, v3, no 2, pp67-101"

malj1

I understood these to be part of masonic regalia. Dr. Bruno Kisch says may have been used by an English Masonic chapter in their sacred rites.

However they are for sale by Toye & Co as  Masonic Regalia / Mark Degree Regalia / White Shekel. - unfortunately they do not mention the metal.

I imagine this is the successor to  Toye, Kenning & Spencer.

I have a lead piece.

Edit The link above is dead, Toye & Co are now Toye, Kenning & Spencer.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Simples. It would appear that the modern stuff also carries the marking "Spencer, London". I wonder if they are using the same dies? Thanks Malcolm, another mystery solved.

bagerap

Years later, the plot thickens. I've just picked up an identical piece signed Kenning London. And there's no matching record for that.

Figleaf

In the opening post, you mention
Quotesome of the nicer ones were made by Spencer, London; thought by many to be a forerunner of Toye, Kenning & Spencer.

BTW, I have been in Israel a few times, though decades ago, always looking for anything resembling a coin and I haven't come across these. FWIW.
QuoteSome were produced as pilgrim mementos

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Yes Peter but all the existing examples so far have been stamped Spencer. I can find none attributed to Kenning. Strangely, Israelis are my main customers for these white metal examples. Not so much so the brass.

africancoins

I got the following piece about 3 years ago, not from a source with any specific masonic connection....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Large masonic piece, likely British, false shekel sort of piece "No" ("o" being superscript and underlined) to left and "9" to right of cup on obverse (evidently machine engraved, and no nunbering seen before on one of these), around the cup varied Hebrew legend (usual) plus tiny "KENNING, LONDON" below cup // usual varied Hebrew legend around branch to the reverse. Diameter 34mm (large), plain rims and edge, white metal, bright, around xf.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have assumed it to be "masonic" from what I have seen about these in the past... note this piece includes "No 9" added to one side.... otherwise it is like the piece in the most recent image here. (I have not looked at my piece today - so cannot say if it has any other differences).

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

bagerap

So, from zero Kennings we have gone to two. I'm trying to dig into the history of Toye, Kenning & Spencer as a combined company as well as the individual histories. Modern pieces exist marked as Toye & Co and that appears to be their current trading name. Spencer was independant until 1947 and it is known that they were producing the white metal shekels as early as 1890. Where and what is the tie in with Kenning is my next quest.

malj1

There was a lovely silver shekel on eBay recently and I fully expected to see it appear here soon after.  ::)

As this has not happened I shall have to load the eBay images myself!

Seller commented: 33mm looks silver but suspect it may be silver plated brass.

It sold at £38  8)
Malcolm

bagerap

Another one appeared on ebay today, and I'm pretty sure that it will be seen here very soon.

malj1

I shall be interested to know whether it is in fact silver plated brass.
Malcolm

bagerap

When the vendor said "The shekel's in the post" I didn't expect it this quickly.
Looks to be silver washed on brass rather than silver plated.