Duke of Bedford's London estate

Started by malj1, August 28, 2012, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

This pass allowed the holder to use a private road on the Duke of Bedford's London Estate. The silver pieces were given to personal friends, and the copper impressions to tenants.

Montague Guest adds:-
This was a pass for Upper Woburn Place Gate. Silver passes were given by the duke to friends or persons selected for the privilege; the bronze passes were for the use of tenants. This information was supplied to Mr Montague Guest by the Steward at the Bedford Office, London, February 12, 1900.

Arms and supporters of the Duke of Bedford motto CHE SARA SARA copper, 32mm rev, engraved number. D&W1 MG numbers 703 to 707
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Coinsforever

Monogram is some what alike EAST INDIA CO. monogram .

May I know what is significance of no. 968.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

malj1

Each pass was engraved with a unique number which would have been entered in a book with name of holder written alongside; this no doubt also entailed getting a signature. A system that is still in use today when you are give a key to a gate or a building for instance. I have had experience of this myself.
Malcolm

malj1

I wonder if these registers have survived? The present steward could tell us who the token was issued to if that is the case.
Malcolm

Coinsforever

Quote from: malj1 on August 28, 2012, 02:29:02 PM
Each pass was engraved with a unique number which would have been entered in a book with name of holder written alongside;

Painstaking laborious work isn't it.

Cheers ;D
Quote from: malj1 on August 29, 2012, 09:51:04 AM
I wonder if these registers have survived? The present steward could tell us who the token was issued to if that is the case.

Any possibility .
Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/