Mughal Dynasty: Aurangzeb (AD 1658-1707), 1 Rupee, Surat Mint (two coins)

Started by Overlord, June 01, 2008, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Figleaf

I tried to verify your attribution. I think I found Aurangzeb Alamgir's name. I found "zarb", but I didn't find the mint name. The regnal year seems to be 21, but what's that 89 doing at the left of the reverse?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

Surat is seen just on the bottom of the reverse. Bottom line is Zarb, above Surat
89 are the last two digits of the AH-date. The complete date is 1089/Ry.21.
It is curious to observe that the die-cutter only engraved the last two digits of the Hijra date. Just because the coin is struck slightly off centre, this can be observed.

asm

Quote from: Oesho on June 02, 2008, 11:59:05 PM
89 are the last two digits of the AH-date. The complete date is 1089/Ry.21.
It is curious to observe that the die-cutter only engraved the last two digits of the Hijra date. Just because the coin is struck slightly off centre, this can be observed.
Dear Oesho, the coin on the top does not seem to have been struck off center - at least not on the date side. The outer border is clearly seen on the coin. This shows that the die which was used to strike this coin was engraved with only a part of the full AH date..... Curious.

It appears that for this year combination, this is a common feature. I recently got one such coin and one can see another one here. It is some times observed that due to some engraving mix ups, there is no space left for a word / letter / phrase / date and then it is incorporated at a slightly different place. Here, in this coin, at the place where the date generally is found, there is sufficient place to put the date. So did the engraver make a mistake? Or was he brought in from a different mint where they put the date at this place and he made an error..........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"