News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Famous people featured together

Started by <k>, August 05, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

While I note that Gadoury lists this piece (#851), I have no doubt that is not an essai of a 20 Francs coin but a private medal. It is not listed in "Le Franc", which is much better researched, nor in KM. In 1929, Briand and Poincaré were still alive, but Clémenceau died on 24th November 1929. I cannot imagine the French republic issuing a coin with the portrait of a live politician. The three heads design was used for some medals and Belgian advertising tokens.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Mexico $20 2021.jpg

Mexico, 20 pesos, 2021.  Bicentenary of the Independence of Mexico.  N# 305470.

Miguel Hidalgo, Jose Maria Morelos and Vicente Guerrero.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

IT22FalcBors.jpg

Here are two Italians who may not be that famous outside of Italy but are certainly worth being commemorated.

This new €2 coin features Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino, two judges who had fought the Mafia.

Falcone was killed on 23 May 1992, about two months later (19 July) Borsellino was murdered.

The coin design was inspired by this photo that Tony Gentile took in March 1992.

Not sure whether the circulation version has already been issued.