News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

The ONE JOURNEY TOKEN is noticeably differently spaced on the middle token in scroggs' post. The first and third are the same as each other, though with different reverses.

malj1

I agree it's certainly a different die and one i must check when I return home.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

orsk2

Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

malj1

Nice and certainly very different!
Malcolm

artsmith

Here are a few more of the Bristol tokens for the blind.
2d with lower right corner clipped
2d with upper right corner clipped
2 1/2d plastic

malj1

I thought it odd that a different corner was off but then realised that one corner off means 2d, so not really any problem which one.
Malcolm

malj1

And a round 3d
Malcolm

malj1

Staffordshire Potteries Street Railway Limited.

The genuine small piece, brass 24X19mm. Note it has an inner circle both sides which is not so apparent on the fantasies. See here

...and yes a compressed image is now on World of Tokens
Malcolm

Figleaf

Great catch indeed, Malcolm. Congratulations! Good to see the genuine token and the fake side by side. They are clearly very different.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I should have added weights.

The genuine token 730 PB is 2.7g

The fantasy 730 YA is heavier at 3.9g
Malcolm

malj1

Another batch of Glasgow 2 stage tokens acquired in a job lot this week.

Several variations in the arms.

Quote from: malj1 on December 28, 2012, 12:41:23 PM
I feel that one you list is plastic, the size implies plastic too.

I have four of these 2 Stage tokens in plastic in varying shades of red, 21.5mm., along with one larger fibre token, 23.7mm that is quite different, the reverse having much larger font.

Edit; Another Glasgow 2 stage added today. rev. legend nicely spaced - see right-hand token the other is left-hand in Epa3054; obv see space between upper and lower legend.
Malcolm

Figleaf

They must have found a way to make them all different. ;) I hope you will find mules. They would link different varieties in time, so that at some time, someone would be able to make sense of the mess.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

artsmith

Andrew Menzies City Omnibus token from Glasgow, Scotland. Copper. 28mm x 18mm. It would seem to be Smith 420 G except for the counterstamp. The only counterstamped token in either Smith or Breingan, is one with a "P" stamped over the 2d to denote a penny fare. Any ideas about this counterstamp?

Figleaf

I'd say there are only two possibilities, in view of how the counterstamp was carefully applied, which rules out a rate change:

• someone trying out his new punch
  • some kind of advertisement or propaganda

Peter

malj1

I think the Smiths were incorrect about the P as P wasn't used to denote penny until the 1970s decimalisation. It would have been a 1 stamp otherwise.

Perhaps it means Partick?

Your counterstamp looks like a bomb or an apple ???
Malcolm