UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Quote from: malj1 on March 11, 2015, 09:31:13 PM
One of Melbourne's [Australia] railway lines was taken from the rail network and converted to tram operation in the late 1980's. see more here

Likewise Angeredsbanan in Gothenburg (Swedish Wikipedia; includes a link to the English page on Göteborgs Spårvägar which mentions it in passing), which was converted to tram use 1969-1972 after the railway was closed. A peculiarity is that the trams have to swap sides at the join between the conventional tram network and the converted railway. Trams drive on the right in Sweden, like other road traffic, while trains drive on the left. Angeredsbanan has central platforms, meaning that trams designed for right-hand traffic can use left-hand traffic rail lines.

malj1

I think you could pick up the tram and rotate it 90 degrees to make it operate correctly?   >:D
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Quote from: malj1 on March 11, 2015, 10:37:12 PM
I think you could pick up the tram and rotate it 90 degrees to make it operate correctly?   >:D

90 degrees? :o

I've never really understood why Gbg's trams aren't double-ended like many trains are, so that the driver just has to walk to the other end of the vehicle to drive it the other way. Instead there are turning loops at termini and a few other places; otherwise, the trams can reverse but it involves quite a lot of hassle, not to mention checking that there's nothing in the rather large blind spot that something the length of a tram has.

Figleaf

You don't actually have to pick 'em up. More info here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Yes of course I should have said 180 degrees. I have seen the train turntables.

But our trams have doors on both sides.
Malcolm

FosseWay

The problem with having doors on both sides is that it reduces the seating capacity significantly.

Some of the trams still in use in Gbg date from before the switch to right-hand traffic in 1967 and were modified after construction to cope. Instead of retaining the 'old' left-side doors while adding right-side doors, the old doors were replaced with normal wall panels and windows.

malj1

That is not a problem as here they are taking a lot of seats out to increase the capacity for standing passengers, likewise with the trains. All due to a huge increase of people using the public transport system since the increased cost of petrol over the last few years.
Malcolm

plasticman

I spent a happy day at the Gloucester Archives yesterday where they have a several documents related to the Gloucester Corporation Light Railways, but nothing that refers directly to tickets or tokens. Several documents refer to 'Fares' stating that they should not exceed 1D per mile and that 'workmen' should travel cheaper so it is likely that a 1/2 D fare did exist. So I think its status is still 'Possibly'.

Figleaf

Well, everything we know fits Gloucester, so the Sherlock Holmes reasoning applies: when you have discarded the impossible and the unlikely, what remains must be truth. Glad about your on-site research. It's by far the best way to knowledge. Maybe you can find more information through these people?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

plasticman

This will be my next enquiry. In fact the archive staff were quite interested in the project and made quite a few other suggestions too. 'Watch this space, but don't hold your breath' applies.

malj1

There is also the possibility that the ½d fare could be for a child.
Malcolm

malj1

A token for use by employees of the North Eastern Gas Board, whilst on duty, loaded today to the WoT site - our first piece there on the gas board page.

Smith attributes to Wakefield. ...was this the only location?

This rather special piece in orange plastic for 2½d is also shown below.
Malcolm

plasticman

I went to the Vestry House museum in Walthamstow (near London) last week and spied a token on display. Similar to Smith number Walthamstow 815 PA but with 'W.U.D.C.' instead of 'W.B.C.'. Sorry about the image but taken through glass in a gloomy room on my mobile phone - there's a moral there somewhere!

malj1

A great find, but that's my quibble with museums, you can't have it!  ::)

Presumably uniface like the other in Smith which incidentally I notice is square.
Malcolm

malj1

From plasticman the following paragraph about the introduction of Celluloid tokens in Manchester...

...the Gloucestershire Chronicle dated September 3rd 1904 so this exactly dates the first celluloid Manchester tokens.

I have enhanced the cutting somewhat but its still a little indistinct.
Malcolm