News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Moneybox DNB transport coins

Started by rtholen, March 05, 2012, 01:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtholen

Recently purchased for my collection;

These iron moneybox, black painted and equipped with the initials of the Nederlandsche Bank.
Dating from before 1940. No. 34.

These boxes were in use for the transport of small coinchange, from the Dutch Mint in Utrecht to the Nederlandsche Bank at the Turfkade in Amsterdam. The box is equipped with wheels on the bottom, which moved this over the railway lines, to the water, where they were transported by boats.

The coins were packed in bags which were placed in the box.

malj1

Very nice! You are now an argyrothecologist.  ;D

argyrothecology = the collecting of money boxes
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Spectacular addition to your already impressive collection of mint objects. Maybe even the largest to date?

For those who participated in the Amsterdam gathering, the old building of the Dutch central bank at Turfkade is now the Allard Pierson museum, where we went to see the coins in depot. You will remember where we sat on a pontoon moored right opposite the main entrance afterwards. That was the place where the inland boats from the mint would dock with their heavy loads.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.