News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Children on coins

Started by <k>, February 15, 2012, 09:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Cuba 10 pesos 1995.jpg

Cuba, 10 pesos, 1995.

<k>

Malawi 5K 1995.jpg

Malawi, 1995.

<k>

German Democratic Republic, 1982.

<k>

UK 50 pence 2009.jpg

UK, 50 pence, 2009.

chrisild

ChilCrea.jpg

Have not come across one on circulation coins, but here is a "children" coin that I find interesting. In 2010 Finland issued a "Children and Creativity" piece which is part of the "Ethical Coins" series of collector coins. Not only does it show a kid, it was also created by a fairly young designer, art student Roope Määttä. Quote from the mint's website: "To be human is to be creative. Children should be encouraged to be creative, because creativity is man's most valuable quality."

Christian

chrisild

CatAma.jpg

This one is not a circulating piece either, but at least it was available at face value. :)  In 2003 the Dutch mint issued this coin celebrating the birth of Princess Catharina Amalia. The image below (from the KNM site) shows the three views of this piece made using MultiView Minting technology. In the middle you see the new born princess, on the left and right her parents Willem Alexander (the future king) and Máxima. The other side (depicted on the very left and right) shows the obverse with Queen Beatrix.

Christian

<k>

Vatican 20 lire 1992.JPG

Vatican, 20 lire, 1992.

Figleaf

gwk.jpg

Here is a 20th century medal with denomination, issued by a bank, celebrating its 50th anniversary. The bank promised to pay the bearer on demand the sum of ƒ20. However, it is 720‰ silver and weighs 25 grams, so its melt value probably exceeds its "face value" of about €9. The piece was designed by Willem Vis (his mark is to the right of the children) and struck at the Utrecht mint.

I have seen a similar coin with children, but whenever I saw it, I couldn't find this medal and vice versa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

israel 10lirot1977.jpg

Just got this in and haven't looked at it in depth yet, but I believe this is a counterstamped version of Israel KM91, 10 lirot 1977. The counterstamp is dated 1979. This may be one of the tricks IGCMC pulled for its most loyal customers. Great study piece and children on a counterstamp on a coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

$$

Bangladesh .jpg

Bangladesh 2 taka

Samir
S
  S
     S

Bimat

Finland €10 (2012): Arvo Yippö

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Turkey.JPG Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey 50 Lira (2009): Bald boy. Interesting design, isn't it? :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Bimat

Vatican €2 (2012): World Meeting of Families.

Aditya