News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Burundi 5 Francs (1980), KM# 20

Started by Bimat, January 30, 2012, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

I won this coin on e-bay for less than half dollar ($0.35 to be precise) along with bunch of other coins a couple of months back..I have already shown some of those (Algeria, Cambodia bi-metal etc)..This is really not a very hard coin to find but never a bad deal for 35 cents! :D Here's the scan:

Burundi 5 Francs (1980), KM# 20.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

This is a bilingual Kirundi/French coin. The texts are paired:

ubumwe ibikorwa amajambere
unité travail progrès

both mean Unity Work Progress

iBanki ya Republika y'uBurundi
Banque de la République du Burundi

both mean Bank of the Republic of Burundi, and

Amafranga
Francs

Are both plural, of ifranga and franc respectively.

With thanks to Harald and his eminent web site

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Enlil

Figleaf

500 Burundi francs are equal to 29 eurocents or 19 rupees.

Civil war between Tutsis and Hutus has totally demolished the economy and made Burundi one of the very poorest countries on the planet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

Quote from: Enlil on January 30, 2012, 10:52:40 PMWonder what it can buy these days!

Take this one and sell it getting some more.  ;D

Enlil

Quote from: Afrasi on January 31, 2012, 09:26:09 AM

I think they would be more concerened with just earning enough to buy food. Selling coins would be for tourist and or a luctury.

andyg

Quote from: Afrasi on January 31, 2012, 09:26:09 AM

Is this the essai listed in Gerhard's book?
I notice it's not in Krause (38th ed)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Afrasi

Quote from: Enlil on January 31, 2012, 11:51:06 PMI think they would be more concerened with just earning enough to buy food. Selling coins would be for tourist and or a luctury.

Dear Enlil!

I think You did misunderstand me. I did not want to talk arrogantly about the needs of people in poor African countries.
I visited Africa several times and am involved in some projects of aid in Ghana and Zimbabwe. Additionally I  have relatives (No Rhodies!) in Zimbabwe, actually one of the poorest countries.

The coin shown above is a very scarce one. That's why I did show it.
You would get some hundred Dollars for it. That's why I did make my - not so sensibel :-[ - comment.

to andyg:

It's not the "Essai", but the "Motivprobe" (engl.: pattern)

Enlil

Afrasi, its ok to be blunt, I am an easy going guy. If what someone says has worth I will listen to them. Thanks Anyway. Nice coin also. But still the Burundians would less educated on the topic, then again so are most people.