Author Topic: Akbar, AE Dam, Bairata, Ilahi 47, month Khurdad  (Read 1694 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Akbar, AE Dam, Bairata, Ilahi 47, month Khurdad
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
hi all'
please attribute this coin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:39:33 AM by Overlord »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Help to identify
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »
This is quite a though nut to crack, but for the best I would suggest the mint: Bairata.
In that case the legend would read: mah khurdad sanah 47 ilahi with sanah below the Ilahi year.
On the other side the legend would be zarb falus bairata. Compare with some similar coins on ZENO.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Bairata, Ilahi 47, month Khurdad
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »
Wow!! Thanks Oesho.. This coin is one of my early coins as a collector.. But had remained unidentified and hence didn't get the respect this coin deserves. The standard Catalogue gives the dates IL47 but no pics.. I guess it is not a good refering book for these coins..
Please can u explain the legend on it..
cheers
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »
None of the coin in Zeno, shows this double line below the Ilahi year.. How can this be explained??
Dr.Abhishek

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
As said by Oesho, this variety of dam from Bairata mint shows the word "sanah" under the Ilahi date, so the double line is the "sin" of sanah and the "i" of Ilahi.
The zeno coin shows in fact the full word "sanah"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Ansari

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
Now you have sufficient reasons to keep this coin with you :)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Hi all,
today I had shown this coin to a very well known coin dealer in Delhi( Mr.Rakesh Jain) and he is of the opinion that the calligraphy of the coin and design on the coin matches to that of burhanpur instead of bairata.. I would please request experienced collector like Jan sir, Bernard sir, Amitji and all of u to please confirm or disagree on the suggestion of Mr.Jain(He is a very knowledgable and experienced in mughal coins)
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
Dear Abhinumis, Rakesh Jain and his brother are  well known to me and he is indeed very knowledgable. In the 60's and 70's I already traded with their father when they were residing in Kirti Nagar in New Delhi. I met Rakesh last time I was in Ahmadabad (Febr. 2011).
However in respect of the above copper coin, I presume he is wrong. This type is found for Burhanpur and Bairat. Both the mint names Burhanpur and Bairat start with b-r, than Burhanpur is followed by a symbol he, as Bairat is followed by alif.
Therefore the above coin should be attributed to Bairat and for a similar coin of Burhanpur mint see ZENO #99863.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:54:28 PM by Oesho »

akona20

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Oesho is certainly correct.