News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Flags on coins

Started by <k>, January 29, 2012, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Honan, Szechuan, Kwang-tung and Yunnan
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Quote from: coffeetime on January 29, 2012, 10:28:24 PM
Our forum member Figleaf particularly likes realistic coin designs, and he has complained to me that flags are very colourful, but so far we can't see this on the coins I've posted. So, this is for him. On a scale of one to a thousand, how grateful do you think he'll be?

Hah! You thought I wouldn't see that huh? I see everything. And I have put a little red cross behind your name.

I know where you sleep >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on January 30, 2012, 12:17:59 AM
Hah! You thought I wouldn't see that huh? I see everything. And I have put a little red cross behind your name.

Peter

This one? From the Swiss flag - on topic?  8)

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

No no, that's the "leaks blood needs plug" cross. Yours is the "shall be punished when defenseless cross". Think NHS and shudder!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Zantetsuken

I hope these count. Although they don't show a distinct pattern, I thought they still look cool. The first is 5 Yuan, 2011 from China. It commemorates the 90th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party, which depicts a flag with the hammer and sickle icon on the reverse. The second is 5 Pennia, 1918 from Finland, issued by the 'Finnish Workers Movement'. It depicts trumpets and a rippling flag on the obverse.

CHINA (PEOPLES REPUBLIC)~5 Yuan 2011

FINLAND (CIVIL WAR)~5 Pennia 1918

Lynnetteasis

It's not a flag, but an odd stamped penny with extra etchings.

Figleaf

Don't worry, Lynnette. There's a flag on US money. :)

Peter

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on January 30, 2012, 11:48:40 AM
There's a flag on US money. :)

In fact, this year the US Mint will issue two surcharged collector coins about the "Star Spangled Banner", and the silver coin will even show a US flag on either side. Attached is the image of the silver piece design; more info (also about the gold piece) is here: http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/commemoratives/?action=2012StarSpangled

Christian

Figleaf

A missed chance, I think. The fortress in the background is Fort McHenry. The reference is to the war of 1812. Like most nations, the Americans turned a defeat into victory by concentrating on the thing that went well for them (compare Hastings and Van Speyk). At the very least, the fort should have had a little smoke around it, or they could have added a reference to the real fighting or to Dolly Madison, rather than the flag-waving exercise, which is all the more unnecessary since the theme is already on the other side.

For those interested in the war of 1812, I recommend Walter Lord's The Dawn's Early Light, which spends just one chapter (out of 13) on the McHenry business.

Peter

villa66

Quote from: chrisild on January 30, 2012, 05:31:00 PM
...the silver coin will even show a US flag on either side. Attached is the image of the silver piece design....

Interesting to note they are two different versions, the 15-star/stripe flag of the national anthem, and the 50-star/13-stripe flag of today.

:) v.

villa66

Quote from: Figleaf on January 30, 2012, 11:48:40 AM
Don't worry, Lynnette. There's a flag on US money. :)

And another one...

chrisild

Quote from: villa66 on January 30, 2012, 06:42:42 PM
Interesting to note they are two different versions, the 15-star/stripe flag of the national anthem, and the 50-star/13-stripe flag of today.

Maybe it's because I do not live in the US, but I have a hard time recognizing today's flag on the reverse. Each side could, by itself, be part of a well designed coin. The gold $5 coin design I like better, except I have a hunch it will be more expensive. ;)  The Walking Liberty coin is a fine design ...

Christian

villa66

Quote from: chrisild on January 30, 2012, 07:13:59 PM
...The Walking Liberty coin is a fine design ...

When I was a boy it caused me considerable difficulty. Many of the adults I knew--in magazines and newspapers, on TV, in person--were very unhappy with the hippies and the anti-war protesters and such who were wearing American flag t-shirts, bandanas, etc. I had a hard time trying to square what they were saying--which was not complimentary--with the existence of the Walking Liberty half dollar, an American favorite. How could wearing the flag be okay for Liberty but for no one else?

chrisild

Don't ask me. :) I don't wave flags, and I don't sing anthems, but if they are used (on certain holidays for example), fine with me. Here is a "not-so-obvious" flag on euro circulation coins, by the way: The French mid-range pieces (10, 20 and 50 cent) have the Tricolore background; in heraldry, horizontal stripes represent blue while vertical stripes mean red. So you see "blue" on the left, "white" in the middle, and "red" on the right - like on the flag.

Christian

chrisild

Another flag, maybe even less obvious. ;D All Austrian euro circulation coins have a small Austrian flag (three horizontal stripes, red-white-red) on the country specific side ...

Christian