News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

18 Belt Buckles (Chapras) from Gwalior Princely State

Started by Abhay, December 04, 2011, 07:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Another unusual field for collection - Belt Buckles.

I am only interested in Gwalior Princely state. So far, I have been able to collect 8 different Belt Buckles. These Belt Buckles are generally known as CHAPRAS in Hindi. The reason could be that they are generally worn by CHAPRASIs (Peon).

01: (In Hindi and Urdu) - Chapras/Sarkar Shinde Ali/Jah Bahadur Mutallak Ka/Cheri Sush Agar Samvat/1909
02: The most Commonly found: (In Marathi) - Jamayyat Hifajat Deha / Gwalior State - Coat of arms in centre
03: (In Hindi) - Zila Assistant Inspector Orderly Peon/ Educational Department/ Gwalior State/ No. 11 - Sun and Cobras - a common sign for Scindias
04: (In Hindi) - Raaj Shri Thakur Modsive Jaagirdaar Thikana Sundarsi/ Riyasat Gwalior/ No. 8/ Chowkidar/ Samvat 1995
05: (In Hindi & English) - Rajput Hitkarini Sabha/ Gwalior State/ Samvat 1964
06: (In Hindi) - Shree/ Sa. Sardaar Jadhav Saheb/ Chapras/ Tahsil Myana Jaagir/ Gwalior Government/ Samvat 1999
07: (In Hindi & English) - Judicial Department/ Jagir Court/ Aroan/ Gwalior Government - with usual Sun and Cobras
08: Belt Buckle with Coat of arms for Scindias

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Coinsforever

From badges , buttons to now belt buckles are like visiting some museum in Gwalior.

Interesting buckles of
Chaprasi (Peon) & Chowkidars ( Security Guards)

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

The sun faces certainly look familiar.

What's the age of these artifacts?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Abhay

Quote from: Figleaf on December 05, 2011, 02:43:00 AM
The sun faces certainly look familiar.

What's the age of these artifacts?

Peter

Yes, the sun face is very common feature for the Scindia Dynasty. It can be found on almost all the things related to Scindias, be it Schools, Hotels, Trusts related to Scindias.

The oldest one is dated Vikram Samvat 1909 (1852 AD), and the latest is from year VS 1999 (1942 AD). So they are between 159 and 69 years old.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Some more Chapras from Gwalior State, my new additions.

09: A chapras from VS 1919 made of Bronze from the reign of Maharaj Jayaji Rao Scindia
10: A chapras in Hindi and Urdu from Gwalior State Garden Bunds - VS 1948
11: A chapras in Hindi and English from Life Insurance Department - VS 2000
12: A chapras in Hindi/English/Urdu from Naulakha District - VS 1930
13: A chapras from present Madhya Pradesh State Sales Tax Department

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Added some more Chapras from Princely State of Gwalior.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

A pleasure to re-visit this thread, Abhay!

A court of wards! :o Incredible. In England, it was an almost medieval institutions where orphaned children entitled to a big inheritance where sold at auction to noblemen who wanted to plunder their inheritance. What would India want with what was perhaps one of the most corrupt, hypocritical and hated institutions of England?

Than there's a department of information. Eek! Officials are killing, bending and shaping information, not making it. Any state that has a department of informations is suspicious in my eyes. That emphatically includes colonial governments.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Abhay

Added two more to the collection. :) :)

The first one is from the Department of Settlement Survey (Land) while the second one is after India got the independence and Gwalior State was merged in the Madhya Bharat, which later on became Madhya Pradesh - from Life Insurance Deaprtment

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

A fantastic thread, Abhay! I enjoy every single piece. TFP.

Peter

asm

A really inspiring thread, Abhay. Your collection of all things Gwalior is amazing.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Pabitra

Really a wonderful collection of not so common items.
I am sure that source of such material is very rare.

Abhay

Thanks for the encouraging words.!!!

Quote from: Pabitra on September 26, 2018, 07:31:34 AM
Really a wonderful collection of not so common items.
I am sure that source of such material is very rare.

Many of these I have found with the regular Coin dealers, and some of these have been purchased from a Local Jeweller who also deals in coins and medals,

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Just to show how a Chapras is/was worn.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

To know more about these Chapras (Belt Buckles), kindly join Zoom Meeting on WoC on 14th Feb, 2021

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,50324.0.html

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY