Akbar, Dam, Sironj mint, Ilahi 38 (unreported?), Farwardin, KM#32.25

Started by Overlord, November 05, 2011, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Mass=20.2 g

Obverse Zarb Falus ?

Reverse Ilahi 38 Farwardin

Overlord

Couldn't find an obverse even remotely similar. Appears kind of crude too.  ???

asm

Try Nisfi type 23 in the old South Asian Cat. for the obv. It looks quite similar.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

Quote from: asm on November 07, 2011, 01:52:41 PM
Try Nisfi type 23 in the old South Asian Cat. for the obv. It looks quite similar.

Amit
Thanks asm. There is only one illustration for Type 23, a Kabul mint Nisfi (if we are referring to the same catalogue--South Asian Coins and Paper Money Since 1556, First edition). I do not think it is the same mint as this coin has a continuous line above the "seen" of "Falus", almost as if it were another "seen".

Overlord

The mint has been identified as Sironj by Mr. Zubair Khan at SACG. This would probably make it an unreported year as Liddle only reports Ilahi 41 and 44 for Sironj (type C-44).

Figleaf

Congratulations, Overlord! Nothing like a good discovery coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Thanks, Peter.

Adding Dr. Shailaindra Bhandar'es reply at SACG, which explains the reading:

"...Although much of the mint-name is off the flan, on stylistic grounds it looks
very likely to be 'Sironj' - Seen and Re and fully visible, above 'seen' of
'Fulus'; the lower end of 'wav' turning to left just above it and lower end of
'jeem' turning right opposite to that. It is a pretty rare mint for 'Ilahi'-type
dams of Akbar."

abhinumis

I was going through some Akbar copper dams of Sironj mint.. Mr.Liddle writes that Sironj dams comes with Ilahi 41 and Ilahi 48 (although the pic on the plate at the back shows Ilahi 38). I have only come across Ilahi 38 in this mint.. Does anyone have seen any other dates other than Ilahi 38 in dams of Sironj mint?? Thanks in advance to all copper enthusiasts and experts.
Dr.Abhishek