Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

All the fakes

Started by <k>, August 01, 2011, 12:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Do all have a high relief reeded edge?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

All have reeded edges generally worn.
The $1 Cheh-Kiang Province piece's edge looks like a tyre that's badly worn on the outer parts with some tread in the middle.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

The 33 mm reeded edge fakes are certainly Chinese. Maybe the others also. It sounds like the 38 mm fake was struck in a collar that was just a bit too wide.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Delhi Police arrested 2 persons for making fake Rs 5 coins.

They set up a stamping machine in Sonipat to make counterfeit Rs 5 coins.

They purchased mild steel sheets for Rs 50/kg and made 50-60 coins from it. Thus the cost of material was Re 0.9 /coin.

In addition, they paid Re 0.30 per coin for labour and machinery.

Their cost of production was Rs 1.2 per coin and they used to supply 5000 coins @ Rs 15000.

repindia

Quote from: kansal888 on October 15, 2013, 01:17:36 AM
Delhi Police arrested 2 persons for making fake Rs 5 coins.

They set up a stamping machine in Sonipat to make counterfeit Rs 5 coins.

They purchased mild steel sheets for Rs 50/kg and made 50-60 coins from it. Thus the cost of material was Re 0.9 /coin.

In addition, they paid Re 0.30 per coin for labour and machinery.

Their cost of production was Rs 1.2 per coin and they used to supply 5000 coins @ Rs 15000.

What is the punishment for this crime today? In the medieval it was capital punishment. I also wonder what the punishment was in the mid 18th and mid 19th century in India. When did it cease to be a capital crime?

kansal888

1977 Save for Development Fake coin

Figleaf

Interesting. Why is it a fake?

Peter

kansal888

Peter this is a crude casting lacking the grace of original coin

Figleaf

Thank you. Surprising. Lines are all sharp and the only sign of what may be trapped air is between the E nad V of DEVELOPMENT. Did you do a "ping" test? Is the weight correct? Is this a scarce coin? Why fake it? I see some signs of double striking or "reverberation", but that may be the lighting.

Peter

Abhay

Peter, this coin is not a general circulating coin. It was minted only for Proof and UNC Sets. See my this post and this post for two more such fake 100 rupee coins. It seems that there are some people making such forged coins, to sell them to the unknowing collectors.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

mitresh

Abhay, the picture of the fake Rs 100 as per your first link is no longer visible, can you re-attach?
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

malj1

Quote from: mitresh on June 15, 2014, 03:12:32 PM
Abhay, the picture of the fake Rs 100 as per your first link is no longer visible, can you re-attach?

It is visible to me.   8)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Abhay

Yes, even I can see all the images.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

kansal888

Peter, I am uploading the pics of original coin. You can clearly see the difference

aarkay

Hi...

If you are in Mumbai or if you visit this city please make it a point of visit Chor Bazaar located near Bhendi Bazaar in South Mumbai, for a real experience in seeing fakes,where everything under the Sun is available(may be fakes)and if you have an eye for genuine stuff you can out wit the seller....bargaining is a fascinating experience...

see link for more..
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g304554-d324931-Reviews-Chor_Bazaar-Mumbai_Bombay_Maharashtra.html

Have a pleasant trip...

Aarkay
Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows....live in the present...a present for you today...