Discussion: Proof or Not : 1950/1962 Indian Rupee

Started by brokencompass, September 10, 2011, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Oracle

Quote from: repindia on June 14, 2012, 03:31:22 PM
@The Oracle these coins are not worn and are UNC and the finish is exactly like my circulating coins and nothing like that on my proof coins. What other evidence do you want? Please let me know if I am missing something which you have caught.

Dear repindia,

I think we digressed a bit here.  we were not discussing a particular set but proof coins in general.  I will need very high resolution pictures to make any judgement based on pictures.  If the coins are yours then you have them in hand and are the best judge.  You are an advanced collector so the chance of you being wrong is slim to none.

repindia

Quote from: The Oracle on June 14, 2012, 04:26:13 PM
Dear repindia,

we were not discussing a particular set but proof coins in general. 

My bad. I was thinking of this series many of these I did not find of proof quality.

Your other statements regarding proofs are true.

I think I need to get my hands on more sets just to make a determination on different types. The market knowingly or unknowingly puts a premium on these so selling should not be a problem after my study.

The Oracle

Quote from: repindia on June 14, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
My bad. I was thinking of this series many of these I did not find of proof quality.

Your other statements regarding proofs are true.

I think I need to get my hands on more sets just to make a determination on different types. The market knowingly or unknowingly puts a premium on these so selling should not be a problem after my study.

ill tell you an inside secret, most of the numismatic community has no idea what they are doing.  they are simply listening to what a so called expert is telling them.  lets take packaging for instance.  the debate has been going on for years whether people are collecting coins or packaging.  a coin inside a pack is worth more than one outside of it even if it is known that the packaging will eat the coin example 1969.  All the non cassette packaging is also very hazardous to the coins but ask around and you will be hard pressed to find any collector who removes the coins from the packet to protect them

repindia

You are very right @The Oracle. I was wondering the same thing. Also another thing I noticed is that the sum of the parts is less than the total set and very surprising. I saw recently on eBay a PCGS graded set of 1950 proofs go for next to nothing (and this came alongside the original package out of which the coins were broken out) while garbage coins in package go for more than double what these sold!

kansal888

Quote from: repindia on June 14, 2012, 04:44:15 AM
Please take a look at a similar set which came up at auction in India and it just said "REPUBLIC OF INDIA" in large font at the bottom.

Most of the 1962 coin sets which I came across have both the legends printed on them:
"Republic of India" at top
"Decimal Coin Set" at bottom