Author Topic: Akbar, Dam, Mint: Mirath, AH 987, KM#28.40  (Read 4903 times)

akona20

Re: Akbar, Dam, Mint: Mirath, AH 987, KM#28.40
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
If your friends were prepared to put up a paper I ams sure it would be reviewed properly.

I have some great personal interest in this at this time.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
Except the original statement regarding the placement of Merta in Rajasthan, the rest has been my own look ups. In any case, I will try to get more on this from the people concerned and hope to be able to get something concrete...........
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 08:07:43 AM »
I have reviewed this topic and now think that Mirtha (Mirath) is not Meerut as previously thought. I am tracing the names on an old journey west of Ajmir and find the place name listed there using both spellings.

I am looking at some of the older maps I have.

akona20

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »
Following the reading of asm's work and my new sources I agree with asm that it probably should be the current city of Merta.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
Following the reading of asm's work and my new sources I agree with asm that it probably should be the current city of Merta.
It is obvious that it is Merta city.
It is 74 kilometres west of Ajmer.
Akbar was a great devotee of Saint Moinuddin Chishti, who was located in Ajmer at that point of time.
Akbar shifted his capital from Delhi to Fatehpur Sikri, near Agra, so that he could go to pilgrimage every year, on foot.
The Army was based in Agra since it was located on the bank of Yamuna river.
When Akbar went from Fatehpur Sikri to Ajmer, his administrative and Army was encamping in nearby towns since Ajmer being a holy place, such crowding was to be avoided.
Very much like much later, when British India had annual shift of capital from New Delhi to Shimla in summer season, Commander in chief and Army were camping in Kasauli, 107 kilometres away.

akona20

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
Well sir three of us now agree so we must change the view of others.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
There was a fairly good discussion on a coin I had posted on FB ( http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=135513736620014&set=o.300723653356343&type=1&relevant_count=1 ) and there, 3 experts on Indian coins namely Sandeep Nijasure, Ramkrishna Somaya and Shailen Bhandare had all opined that this mint was the mint in Rajasthan and not the city of Meerut in UP. Here is what Shailen Bhandare mentioned: Amit Mehta yes this is definitely Merta in Rajasthan - if I am not mistaken the Mughal presence around Merta is attested historically at the time (date) shown on these coins. The verdict of all 3 was emphatic and unanimous.

Amit

akona20

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
Well perhaps the debate is now concluded and the location is fixed.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
Now to see when the references accept this change?

Amit

akona20

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
Well one upcoming major new work will accept the change.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
Is not a question of  pro’s and contra’s, but of historical facts. The mint name as is written on the coin is Mirtah or Mirath. Merta as well as Meerut are written the same way in Persian.
As it is mentioned on Wikipedia that Akbar struck copper at Meerut and Irfan Habib mentions Mirath see: Meerut, I opted for Meerut as mint town.

On the other hand Mirtah, as inscribed on Akbar coins, is written exactly the same on later coins of this place in the name of Alamgir II. With the recent discussion on Fb, where they general accepted  that the place of issue to be Merta in Rajasthan, I will happily agree with that as well.
The historical circumstances around AH987 - 989 (1579 - 1581) may shed some more light. In the Akbar Nama I could only find that “Shahbaz Khan arrived at this time. He had settled the affairs of Ajmer, and reduced the recalcitrant ones to obedience. He did homage on the 27th of the month.” The date concerned was 27 Khurdad = 7 June 1579.

Later that year Akbar made preparations for an expedition to Ajmer. “When it appeared that an expedition in that direction would be a means of calming the public and enhance the submission of the recalcitrant, he, on 26 Shahriyar, Divine month, 8 September 1579, placed the foot of fortune in the stirrup of world conquest and set off thither.”   
About 3 Aban =14 October 1579 Akbar arrived at Ajmer. On the 17 Aban = 29 October 1579 Akbar commenced his return to the capital from Ajmer by the way of Mewat. “On the 29th (Aban) in the neighbourhood of Sambhar, Shahbaz Khan was sent off with some victorious troops in order that he might guard the laws of sovereignty in that province, and might exert himself in keeping the peace and in civilizing the country.”
On 21 Shawal 987 (11 December 1579) Akbar returned at the capital Fathpur.

From this description it is clear that beyond Ajmer the people had to be subdued and Shahbaz Khan was the one who was in charge of it. Providing the copper coins with ‘Mirtah’ were struck at Merta they must have been struck while Shahbaz Khan was subduing the country in the Subah of Ajmer. That also may explain that they were only struck for a short period of time.

akona20

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
Arrrgh.

Last night I was preparing such a submission but fell asleep. So this morning I woke a little earlier than usual on these winter mornings to complete and post it and I find Oesho has done a better job than I have.

Thank you.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »
You're welcome  :)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
So now the mint place of Merta is put to rest.. A consensus on an issue is a wonderful thing!
Dr.Abhishek

akona20

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 06:33:43 AM »
Sensible people can have sensible debates. This has recently been seen here on this subject and elsewhere on another research subject.

However it does not mean we will always agree on various points but if an issue is to be written about then points of view that hold merit should be recorded in context.

You will note in our Mughal coin work that Ansari and I differ from time to time in certain translations. Both ideas are put forward to be reviewed by those interested within the work.