Author Topic: Alternatives for the word "money"  (Read 7514 times)

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: Alternatives for the word "money"
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
Re: Oof. I came across this word in novels by P.G.Wodehouse, where idle young men are members of the Drones Club. The richest of them all is nicknamed Oofy Prosser.
Regards.
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
Seems that "mamona" and "grosz", in various local spellings, occur in many European languages. In German for example it's Mammon (also a little old fashioned, and always in a pretty negative sense) and Groschen - not referring to money in general but to a specific denomination (DE) or currency unit (AT) ...

Christian

Offline retired44

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
I love when it is called shekels. ;D 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
Mazuma is also a denomination used in North Africa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »
Always interesting to see what the COED says:-

money
   noun a medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes. Ø(moneys or monies) formal sums of money. Øwealth or financial gain. Øpayment for work.

PHRASES
   be in the money informal have or win a lot of money.
   for my money informal in my opinion.
   money for old rope (or for jam) British informal money or reward earned for little or no effort.
   on the money North American informal accurate; correct.
   put one's money where one's mouth is informal take action to support a statement.

DERIVATIVES
   moneyless adjective

ORIGIN
   Middle English: from Old French moneie, from Latin moneta 'mint, money', originally a title of the goddess Juno, in whose temple in Rome money was minted.

Other words for 'money' that are used in England include 'loot', 'lolly'and 'beer tokens / beer vouchers'.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »
Not sure about other uses, but to be in the money for me refers to financial market options that have a value of greater than zero, so to be out of the money is to have worthless options. For instance, if you work for ACME inc. and your Christmas bonus was options to buy ACME inc. stock for 100, those options are in the money if ACME equity trades above 100 and out of the money if ACME inc. stock trades at 100 or below.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.