Rupee of farukhsiyar

Started by capnbirdseye, August 06, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

There's something about this Rupee that doesn't appear quite right, it's so perfectly centred as to almost appear machine struck or use of a die collar? Secondly is it underweight at 10.8g ??
Nevertheless it was bought from a reputable London coin dealer c.1966 but that doesn't guarantee it's not legitimate of course

Itawah 1128 
Vic

Oesho

Whether it was an attempt to strike full flan coins or they were intended for nazarana, I don't know, but about this time during the reign of Farrukhsiyar more full flan issue are being observed, like a similar coin of Itawa mint dated AH1129/Ry.6.
Similar full flan coins are found also for several other mints like Azimabad, Bareli, Multan, etc.
Why the coin concerned is of such a low weight I am unable to explain. Oxydation?

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Oesho on August 06, 2011, 12:59:56 PM

Why the coin concerned is of such a low weight I am unable to explain. Oxydation?

The coin is in rather poor condition compared to many others I have but whether it would account for a loss of .02g or more I don't know.

I'm not sure how they prepared the flans for striking to get the weight correct & keep it round, I read an ongoing discussion on another coin forum which you possibly saw as to how the blanks were prepared. Various ideas that they were cut from a round bar or cut from sheet silver & chiseled till they were round were put forward.
Maybe that would make a good thread on this forum if you actually know how it was done.  I can't imagine how you could accurately chop a 28mm silver bar like you would a German sausage but that's one of the most popular ideas mentioned  ???
Vic