Liege, oord 1726

Started by arneman, December 31, 2007, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arneman

I have a coin wich I think is dated in the year 1724, I have no idea where it's from since it's not in a good condition. Here's the image:

Figleaf

Congratulations, you have an oord/liard of Liège/Luik in the name of George Louis of Berghes/Bergen, prince-bishop (1724-1744). However, the date is most likely 1726. You can make a larger picture of the coin by cropping it (trimming off the white). References: KM 134, Vanhoudt G 1338

obv: oval arms of Berghes, covered with a bishop's crown on a crosier (power of the bishop) and a sword (power of the prince). Above, a 5-petalled flower (Luik mintmark) Legend: GEORGIUS LUDovicus:DE BERGHES Dei.Gratia. - George Louis de Berghes by the grace of god (continued on the reverse)
rev: in cruciform, centre the arms of the city of Liege (gold pillar on a piedestal in a red field), above the county of Loon/Looz (red and yellow horizontal bars), left the duchy of Bouillon (white bar on a red field), right the marchessate of Franchimont, now part of the town of Theux, below the county of Horne, three red horns on a yellow field. This county gave its name to Philip of Montmorency, count of Horne, who was executed on the Grand Place/Grote Markt in Brussels together with the count of Egmont for their tolerance of protestantism. Their death would be the starting point of the Dutch war of independence. The arms are now used by the town of Haelen (L). Legend: EPiscopus.ET PRINceps.LEOdium.DUX:BULlioneM.FranCimontanem.Loon.Hornensis - bishop and prince of Luik duke of Bouillon Franchimont Loon Horne.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

arneman

Thanks a lot for this great reply! 1724 was more of a guess since the quality is not that good.

bart

Just a small adjustment of the legends: ;)

EPiscopus.ET PRINceps.LEOdinium.DUX:BULlionensis.M.Franchimontanem.Comes.Loon.Hornensis - bishop and prince of Luik duke of Bouillon marquis of Franchimont count of Loon and Horne.

Bart

arneman

Quote from: bart on January 02, 2008, 10:01:06 PM
Just a small adjustment of the legends: ;)

EPiscopus.ET PRINceps.LEOdinium.DUX:BULlionensis.M.Franchimontanem.Comes.Loon.Hornensis - bishop and prince of Luik duke of Bouillon marquis of Franchimont count of Loon and Horne.

Bart

Thanks fotr the update, I found a similar coin and I'm asking the same question, could you check out: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/index.php?topic=1070.msg4823#new