Shah Jahan Ahmednagar 1061 RY 24. KM#235.02 Mint name to right of square

Started by asm, July 03, 2011, 05:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

This is a normal coin of Shah Jahan from Ahmednagar. The difference is that the mint name is written on the right of the coin. The RY on a similar dated coin on Zeno is at a different position than on this coin. On that coin it is on the bottom right of the square below the Sha...

AH 1061 RY 24.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Also, I cannot match the text on the left of the dated square on your coin with the text on the left of the undated square on zeno, but I don't claim any expertise. (Or is that the mint name?)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

The reference to ZENO is of a coin dated 1061/Ry.24, but that coin is of Surat mint. A similar rupee of ]Ahmadnagar shows also the Ry. below Shah.
On the present rupee I am unable to locate the Ry. Where did you see it, Amit?

asm

Dear Oesho,
I must have got really confused when I linked the coin. Before I uploaded this coin, I was last looking at 2 or 3 Surat coins which I have also picked up and may be this was the reason for the mix up.

The date is in the 'N' of the Jahan. I have uploaded a magnified image. It took me quite some time to find the RY date, even with the coin in hand as it is in very small size.

I have checked the two coins of this type on ZENO and find that the coin linked by Oesho has the mint name on the left of the square while the other one has the mint name to the right of the coin. Is there any specific reason? or is it a die cutters error? On the later coin, the date is also in the same position as it is on my coin.

The date on Oesho's RY 18 coin is an error written as 'dot 8' instead of 18. An interesting error as single digit dates were never seen engraved with a dot.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"