Author Topic: Russia 2011: Commemorative Coins  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Russia 2011: Commemorative Coins
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
On June 30, bank of Russia will issue two commemorative coins in base metal in denomination of 10 Roubles “Kursk” and “Orel” of the series “Towns of Martial Glory”. (Source)

Common obverse:

Reverse of the first coin depicts the relief image of the emblem of Kursk; the inscriptions along the rim say: at the top on the ribbon - “ГОРОДА ВОИНСКОЙ СЛАВЫ” (TOWNS OF MARTIAL GLORY), at the bottom -  “КУРСК” (KURSK).

Reverse of the second coin depicts the relief image of the emblem of Orel; the inscriptions along the rim say: at the top on the ribbon - “ГОРОДА ВОИНСКОЙ СЛАВЫ” (TOWNS OF MARTIAL GLORY), at the bottom -  “ОРЕЛ” (OREL).

Mintage: 10 million (each).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:49:57 AM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Russia 2011: Commemorative Coins
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »
And on the very next day (July 1), two more commemorative 10 Rouble coins will be issued.

First Issue:

Regions of Russia: VORONEZH

Obverse:
In the upper part of the ring - the inscription along the rim: “БАНК РОССИИ” (BANK OF RUSSIA), in the lower part - the year of issue “2011”. On the left and on the right sides of the coin, on the outer ring – the stylized images of the bay tree and oak twigs respectively, going over to the disc. In the center of the disc - the indication of the face value of the coin “10 РУБЛЕЙ” (10 ROUBLES) in two lines. Inside the figure “0” – a protective element in the form of the figure “10” and the inscription “РУБ” (RUB) - visible by turns when changing the angle of vision. In the lower part of the disc - the mint trademark.

Reverse:
The reverse side of the coin bears the image of the emblem of the Voronezh Region, the inscriptions on the ring along the circumference are: at the top  - “РОССИЙСКАЯ ФЕДЕРАЦИЯ” (THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION), at the bottom – “ВОРОНЕЖСКАЯ ОБЛАСТЬ” (VORONEZH REGION).

Mintage: Upto 10 million pieces.

Second Issue:

Towns of Martial Glory Series: Vladikavkaz

Obverse:
In the upper part of the coins - the inscription along the rim: “БАНК РОССИИ” (BANK OF RUSSIA), in the lower part - the year of issue “2011”. On the left and on the right sides of the coins – the stylized images of the bay tree and oak twigs respectively. In the center of the disc - the indication of the face value of the coin “10 РУБЛЕЙ” (10 ROUBLES) in two lines. Inside the figure “0” – a protective element in the form of the figure “10” and the inscription “РУБ” (RUB) - visible by turns when changing the angle of vision. In the lower part of the disc - the mint trademark.

Reverse:
The reverse side of the coin bears the relief image of the emblem of Vladikavkaz; the inscriptions along the rim say: at the top on the ribbon - “ГОРОДА ВОИНСКОЙ СЛАВЫ” (TOWNS OF MARTIAL GLORY), at the bottom -  “ВЛАДИКАВКАЗ” (VLADIKAVKAZ).

Mintage: 10 Million.

Source

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
No comment on their "Martial Glory" pieces. :-X What I find strange though is that some of the issues are apparently designed in the "old style" (bimetallic look) while others look like the regular coins ...

Christian

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
Vladikavkaz, sort of the "Dodge City" of Russia.  Wild wild Caucasus Mtns.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Vladikavkaz, sort of the "Dodge City" of Russia.  Wild wild Caucasus Mtns.

In Russian (old Russian to be exact; long before the XX century) it could mean "владеющий Kавказом" - the city which owns the Caucasus. Or rules the Caucasus. The same name pattern is used for Vladivostok ("ruling the East"), Vladimir ("ruling the World"), etc.

By the way, Putin's name "Vladimir Vladimirovich" means "the man who rules the World, the son of the man who ruled the World".  ;D
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
Very interesting, gentlemen. Well, just as Basil is not a Greek king and Leroy is not a French king, Vladimir may not really rule the world. BTW, I thought "mir" means peace?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Very interesting, gentlemen. Well, just as Basil is not a Greek king and Leroy is not a French king, Vladimir may not really rule the world. BTW, I thought "mir" means peace?

Peter

But "mir" also means world.  An instance of double meaning word in Russian.  In English they are very common.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »
But "mir" also means world.  An instance of double meaning word in Russian.  In English they are very common.

Actually, there are three meanings: world, society (ordinary people, not elite), and peace. Ruler of the society was, in ancient times, the ruler of all the known world; so these two meanings were almost equal. The meaning "peace" is not applicable for this case, because in this pattern of the cities names the second part should be the territory which is under control.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Numismaticavisual

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
Russia 10 rubles "Malgobek" 2011

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
Latest issue: Cities of Military Glory: Rzhev; Brass plated steel.

Mintage: 10 million

Image from WCN

Aditya

Offline gxseries

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
I like the bimetal coinage. The new coinage just makes it look cheap...

As for the bimetal 10 ruble, I finally obtained the Chechen coin. That didn't come cheap...

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
I like the bimetal coinage. The new coinage just makes it look cheap...

As for the bimetal 10 ruble, I finally obtained the Chechen coin. That didn't come cheap...
Yes, I'm too a huge fan of that bimetallic R 10 series. 8)

I've seen some of the recent bimetallic 10 Roubles commemoratives fetching $40 or even more on e-bay. Shocking..Even these monometallic commemoratives are being sold for $5 there.. ::)

Gotta have 'em all to complete the collection..one day.. :-X

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
Another one from Towns of Martial Glory series: Elets

Mintage: 10 Million

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
I have a question for Russian members: Do these coins (especially monometallic which are recently introduced) actually circulate? I've been watching them on e-bay for last two-three months and most of the dealers are asking $5+ for monometallic R10 commemoratives and even higher for bimetallic R10 commemoratives of 2011 (I was amazed when a dealer asked €50 for the Chechen commemorative! :o). Looking at their mintage (all monometallic issues have a mintage of 10 million), they should not be so expensive. Interesting thing is that the earlier (2002-2009 and some of 2010) bimetallic R10 commemorative coins are not expensive at-all.. What makes these recent issues so valuable that dealers are asking such a high price (and collectors paying it)? A sudden increase in demand? hoarding by Russian collectors? or just a hype? ???

If anyone is willing to help me in getting these new coins, please drop a PM! :) ;)

Aditya

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:22:39 PM by Bimat »

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
I know the bi-metallic coins circulate, I got one or two when I was in Russia a few years back, as for monometallic I have no idea, i didn't see any!