Author Topic: Smallest coin ever made ?  (Read 25163 times)

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Smallest coin ever made ?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
These are not the world smallest coin of the world. By far the smallest coins of the world come actually from Nepal. This is the silver 1/4 jawa. Weight 0.002 g!!!!
The Jawa is a square bracteate silver or gold coin (c. 0.010 g.) These were the smallest coins struck, but to obtain even smaller denomintions these were cut into halfs and the halfs again into quarters. 

Ref.: N.G. Rhodes, "The smallest coins in the World. Spink's Numismatic Circular, March 1973, p.100.
N.G. Rhodes, K. Gabrish and C. Valdettaro: The Coinage of Nepal (R.N.S., London, 1989) #360, #373.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:15:51 AM by Oesho »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
well! that's amazing, they are actually coins but incredibly not the worlds smallest  8)  according to the national newspaper of Kerala 'The Hindu'  there was an argument as to the smallest coin in the world but obviously they were not aware of Jawa or indeed the mashaka or ratti coins.

http://www.hindu.com/2004/08/02/stories/2004080205820400.htm
Vic

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »
Just had a look at my smallest coins..

Much bigger than I thought at 7mm and 6.5mm; 320mg and 300mg.

However I don't know anything about them and imagined they are Indian, perhaps I can be enlightened now.

[scanned at 2400dpi]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:24:44 AM by Niels »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »
My smallest coin is an 1895 1/4 Real from Guatemala at more than 11 but smaller than 11.5 mm, 0.77g.  Thanks Andy!  My caliper isn't accurate enough to measure any more accurate than that.  That is a real monster compared to some listed here.
Dale

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
However I don't know anything about them and imagined they are Indian, perhaps I can be enlightened now.
These coins are derived from the fractional dirhams of the Amirs of Sind (c. AH257-421/c. AD870-1030).
In the introduction to this chapter in his book: The Coins of the Indian Sultanates, Stan Goron writes:
The small silver coins (Qanhari Dirhams) of the Amir of Sind seem to have been struck from debased silver and, when found nowadays, can appear to have quite a coppery appearance. There are crude, modern imitations of these coins on the market for some reason; these tend to be thicker, with more angular script.Unfortunately your two coins belong to the later catagory.
Below some of the Sind fractional dirhams and how they need to look like.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:45 PM »
It's hard to imagine coins so small, here's another pic of one of my coins compared to a common matchstick  :o
Vic

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »
There are crude, modern imitations of these coins on the market for some reason; these tend to be thicker, with more angular script.Unfortunately your two coins belong to the later catagory.

A disappointing result to my query! I wonder how modern though , I have owned these two for close to thirty years although I am at a loss to say where I obtained them.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Enlil

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
Maybe the greek coins can rival it in size, http://dougsmith.ancients.info/tiny.html.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
Gee...I always thought that it was the "Panama Pill"  Panama KM-1    I owned one once...I'll be darned if I can find it...to darn small I guess.

Alan   Massachusetts

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
Gee...I always thought that it was the "Panama Pill"  Panama KM-1    I owned one once...I'll be darned if I can find it...to darn small I guess.

Alan   Massachusetts

It doesn't come anywhere near at 10mm and weight 1.25g,  the Panama pill was two & a half Centesimos
Vic

Offline Enlil

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »

Offline Enlil

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:49 AM »
I was thinking what about the Bele gold coin issued by Vijayanagar, 0.05g and 2-3mm pretty small and of a higher value. Zeno has just one coin http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=91334.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
Yup...you're right. At 10mm...the panama pill is HUGE!!! (Of course the photo is very much enlarged...) Still can't find mine...guess I thought it was an aspirin.

How does one "spend" a 4 millimeter coin? I guess tweezers were pretty popular back then???    ;)

Alan in MA

Offline Enlil

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 05:40:10 AM »
I guess it is more likely they were a store of value and would have been traded in bulk, with the ability to seperate coins accordingly.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
Hello, Enlil. Makes sense. So I assume they were weighed or counted rather than "spent". So they must have had some recognized universal value. It would be interesting to know what 1 of the 4 or 5 millimeter coins would be "worth" in relation to buying a goat...or a wife...or whatever...

What about "modern coins" those with a traditional mintage process (I think).  I have...somewhere...a KM 50 from Travancore, India...pretty small...What also comes to mind is the growing number of "World's Smallest Gold 'Coins'" from all sorts of countries. I own several of these as they commemorate musicians. I believe they are 11 mm...giants compared to the India pieces. discussed earlier.