News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Circular coins that have a polygonal inner rim

Started by <k>, May 31, 2011, 06:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

The first coin I noticed with an inner polygonal rim was the French two francs coin, which was introduced in 1979.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Fiji 50c.jpg

In recent years, some countries have been replacing their polygonal coins with round coins that have an inner polygonal rim.

Fiji is a good example. Some say that this is because vending machines have difficulty with polygonal coins.

However, I don't believe that. Here in the UK, vending machines always accept my 20p and 50p coins without any problem.

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

The East Caribbean States joined the trend around 2002.

Abhay

Indian 1 and 2 rupee coins fit this category. While 1 rupee coin has 7 sided polygon, the 2 rupee coin has 11 sided polygon.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

<k>

USD.jpg

The Susan B Anthony dollar is another example from the 1970s.

Bimat

Quote from: coffeetime on May 31, 2011, 06:15:50 PM
Nice one, Aditya - a bimetallic version of an inner polygonal rim. I wonder if it's unique?
This NLT from Cabinda commemorates 35th anniversary of Cabinda's independence. Interesting thing is that only obverse has a polygonal rim! I'm sure they must have spent a lot of money for its production. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Abhay

Quote from: coffeetime on May 31, 2011, 06:19:43 PM
So India issued these a bit earlier than the South African ones. An early adopter, then.  8)

The 1 rupee coin was first issued in 1983 while the 2 rupee coin was issued in 1982.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

<k>

Quote from: engipress on May 31, 2011, 06:33:22 PM
The 1 rupee coin was first issued in 1983 while the 2 rupee coin was issued in 1982.

Abhay

So that's not long after France, then. I wonder what is the earliest one we will find for any country?

Abhay

Quote from: coffeetime on May 31, 2011, 06:34:40 PM
So that's not long after France, then. I wonder what is the earliest one we will find for any country?

I think it has to be India. The coins issued by Shah Jahan (1628-1658 AD) had a square border.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

Quote from: coffeetime on May 31, 2011, 06:15:50 PM
Nice one, Aditya - a bimetallic version of an inner polygonal rim. I wonder if it's unique?
Found another legal tender: Taiwan 20 Dollars

Aditya

chrisild

You may have seen the 5 DM "Magnimat" coin that replaced the earlier silver piece here in 1975 ...

Christian

5dm1.jpg

chrisild

Now why does that belong here? Well, it doesn't. But Wolfgang Doehm's original design (image from the Jaeger catalog) sure looked a little different. That "had to be modified" then for technical reasons. ::)

Christian

5dm2.jpg

Bimat

<k>

In the 1990s Malta went in the opposite direction.

It gave an inner polygonal rim to two coins that had previously been round.

Presumably this would have made them easier to distinguish from the other coins in the series.