Akbar, AE Dam, Malpur mint, AH985, KM#28.38

Started by Overlord, January 23, 2011, 07:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Mass=20.5 g

Obverse Sikka Falus (Zarb) Malpur [Stamped Copper Coin (Struck at) Malpur]

Reverse Sanah (Year) 985, Nuhsad (Wa) Hashtad (Wa) Panj [Nine Hundred (And) Eighty (And) Five]

asm

Nice coin, Overlord. I have one of the same mint and will try my luck with the attribution (I got mine from Oswal Auctions and believe that the id is correct).

A mint in the Gujarat area which issued coins only during the reign of Akbar. Am I correct.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

I would love to see yours, asm.
Here is the mint description (from the Lahore Museum Catalogue):
"Malpur is situated about sixty miles east of Ahmadabad. It is found as a mint on a few rare copper dams of Akbar of dates from 983 to 985. One gold mohar, and one rupee of the usual early types, are also known. On these Malpur is called Daru-l-khilafat."

asm

Great information Overlord. Andrew Liddle says: A short distance North East of Ahmedabad. issued coins in Gold, Silve and Copper.

Since I lost my camera at the Delhi airport in early December, I have been a bit hampered trying to take pictures. Will try to remedy the situation soon.

Amit

Oesho

Malpur is indeed a rare mint. Another AE dam dated AH984 can be observed on ZENO #79887.

asm

Thank you Oesho for the information on Malpur. Did any other Mughal Emperor issue coins from this mint? Or is it possible that this too was one of the Camp mints of Akbar during the time when he was trying to subdue the local rulers?

Amit

Overlord

Got another, with an (almost) complete mint name. This one is dated (AH)986.

Mass=20.1 g

Obverse

Reverse

asm

Great coin, Overlord. .....and now there are 3 years. I will need to check mine......

Amit

Overlord

Quote from: asm on October 15, 2011, 12:59:52 PM
and now there are 3 years. I will need to check mine......

Amit
I am hoping it turns out to be the fourth  :)

Figleaf

Fire up Google Earth and search for Malpur, Gujarat, India for a place that meets the description. Google says the distance from Ahmedabad by car is at least 124 km.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Overlord on October 16, 2011, 04:04:02 AM
I am hoping it turns out to be the fourth  :)

Bad luck folks. Mine too is 985.

Amit