News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century

Started by andyg, June 29, 2011, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciscoins

Monaco 2006: new prince, new design
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

andyg

Quote from: coffeetime on October 07, 2011, 11:48:27 AM
Done!

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,10574.msg70698.html#msg70698

Doesn't Monaco fail on your criteria though?
1 new design in 2007 (1 Euro) and 1 new design in 2009 (2 Euro).
The others are NCLT, like the Vatican sets....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Quote from: andyg on October 07, 2011, 07:06:43 PM
Doesn't Monaco fail on your criteria though?
1 new design in 2007 (1 Euro) and 1 new design in 2009 (2 Euro).

You are wearing your dunce's hat again and haven't done your homework. See point F] i]:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,10109.msg68482.html#msg68482
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

andyg

In that case there are numerous Vatican issues to add, Tristan da cunha etc. ;)

<k>

Quote from: andyg on October 07, 2011, 08:40:07 PM
In that case there are numerous Vatican issues to add, Tristan da cunha etc. ;)

TDC's sets certainly don't circulate. V*t*c*n is already represented - though who knows whether theirs circulate.

andyg

andyg

There might be a 2010 set - Iran.
Three new 1000 Rials, and new denominations 2000 / 5000 Rials.

You could always "invoke point F" or some such similar rule  ;)

<k>

Quote from: andyg on December 22, 2011, 10:39:15 PM
There might be a 2010 set - Iran.
Three new 1000 Rials, and new denominations 2000 / 5000 Rials.

It seems they are mainly commemorative. In that case, we would have to say that the UK issues a major new set every year, but I don't think people would agree. I regret accepting the Indian set of 2007, which is commemorative AND circulates. One Indian member queried it but got no response from his fellows, and I didn't know enough about it.

Quote from: andyg on December 22, 2011, 10:39:15 PM
You could always "invoke point F" or some such similar rule  ;)
"Such as FU", you're expecting me to say now - but I won't.  :P

andyg

It was just a thought - the 2000 and 5000 Rials are new denominations and are not commemoratives (as far as I know) - the 1000 Rials is commemorative and I was hoping you'd spot another rule to help me out here - I don't like the bit "no new sets in 2010" it looks so empty :-[

<k>

Quote from: andyg on December 22, 2011, 11:13:37 PM
It was just a thought - the 2000 and 5000 Rials are new denominations and are not commemoratives (as far as I know) - the 1000 Rials is commemorative and I was hoping you'd spot another rule to help me out here - I don't like the bit "no new sets in 2010" it looks so empty :-[

Aw, ain't 'e sentimental?  ;D  And to think I was going to burn Xmas in my garden this morning.

Looking at Numista.com, it says they are commemoratives:

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/iran-10.html

andyg

<k>

Looking at recent new circulating design series, there are some points worth noting. The obvious one is that coins are getting smaller and lighter and are often now made of plated steel. There is also a growing trend to get rid of polygonal coins and replace them with circular coins, or with circular coins that have an inner polygonal rim - so that they look polygonal when actually they are round.

A more recent trend is that more countries are turning to thematic designs: wildlife, archictecture. Morocco was an example of this last year: instead of just a portrait of the king on the obverse and more or less a plain denomination on the reverse, it adopted attractive reverses depicting wildlife and local architecture. Not what we would expect from a North African state - though neighbouring Algeria has had a very attractive wildlife series since the 1990s.

Last year too, we saw Uruguay adopt a wildlife set, whilst Colombia is adopting one later this month. Previously both countries seemed to stick to their portraits of national heroes: 19th century military men in high collars. This perpetuated the idea that all Latin American states are reactionary right-wing dictatorships. Other South American states have had circulating wildlife sets, of course, notably Brazil and Argentina, and Peru used to have an alpaca on a couple of its coins. Could it be that varied thematic designs will become the norm in the near future? Well, that won't entirely be the case, so long as the euro survives, with its trend towards only one design, or sometimes three, for each national series. And I expect that the euro WILL survive, if not necessarily in exactly its present configuration.

<k>

Noted. I will wait for the circulation coins to appear. I know there are already some commemorative coins of the new Dutch king.