Kolkata: Metro Tokens are Here!

Started by Bimat, July 24, 2011, 07:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Tick, tick of tokens
Premankur Biswas
Posted: Sun Jul 24 2011, 03:20 hrs

She is in a starched white saree. A streak of vermilion is a striking contrast to her white mane. A crumpled plastic bag is clutched close to her heart and a frown adorns her forehead. Behind her a queue has formed. A restless youth shouts:"Ki holo Dida? Ghumiye porle naki?" (Grandma, have you dozed off?). She fumbles with the plastic coin-like thing, looks around helplessly. In front of her is a spanking new metro gate- a gleaming steel structure with red discs protruding out of it. A strapping RPF official comes to her rescue. Puts the coin in a coin slot and saves the day. Obviously, the lady hadn't watched any of the audio-visual presentations that are being aired on the television screens across the metro stations. If she had, she would have been more confused.

Ever since the much-anticipated slot machines were inaugurated earlier this week, the audio-visual presentations are being aired every few minutes. Which is a good thing. What is not a good thing is the way in which the presentations are handled. A disembodied female voice tells you that the Metro authorities have "launched a wonderful new initiative". Then a ticket window is shown where a disgruntled passenger is handed over some coins. We are told the coins are being sold. But before they get into the details of how these coins function, a disclaimer is announced. That these coins are valid only for 90 minutes after they are first put into the slot. Which means one has to complete one's journey, whether it's from Dum Dum to Kavi Subhash or from Belgachia to Shyambazar, in 90 minutes. This integral piece of information hits you like a tonne of bricks.

For, the average Kolkatan is not used to such time-bound urgency when it comes to Metro travel. We buy our ticket. We stroll into the station, wait for the once-in-an-hour air-conditioned train. Reject it if its too crowded. Spend some time chit-chatting with our friends if we have company. Spend some more time cosying up to our partners if the station has some cosy nook (like the Park Street one). And finally, when we have nothing to do, we take our trains.

So now the little coin in our pocket will be like a veritable time bomb. Ticking away as we rush down the stairs and stumble into the platform. Ticking away as we miss the train to Kavi Subhash by a second. Ticking away as we sweat it out in a platform. Ticking away as a train is cancelled because of a technical snag. Ticking away as we squeeze into the last train. Ticking away as we rush to queue up in front of the sensor gate. Tick, tick.

Source: Indian Express
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

asm

Aditya,

The story is about the Kolkatta Metro........ not New Delhi.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Bimat

Thanks for the correction, my mistake. ::)

Edited the topic title.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

What do these tokens look like? I have been given some pieces that I was told were Delhi metro tokens. They are just plain round plastic pieces without any design. Are they what I was told they are?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Topic split, Delhi Metro tokens are now discussed here to avoid confusion.

Aditya

Afrasi

Can anyone show the Kolkata Metro tokens, please?

artsmith

Here are pictures of the four colors that I have. I do not know if there are other colors.

malj1

I found some more colours on Google images.

Maybe the brown one is the same?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

tokenofan

Hello: is there any information about current Kolkata Metro advertisement tokens (like the one that has train picture on obverse and RAMCO Cement on reverse). Thanks!