Music: Two or More Different Instruments on a Design

Started by Abhay, February 09, 2011, 10:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Back to the Ecuador music instrument "coins" I mentioned yesterday, here they are. I wish I could read the Chinese on the reverse.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us   ALan

Figleaf

Still trying to find slightly strange music-related coins. I should have thought of Canada before. Here's one in a series on Canadian festivals, but the first thing that popped in my mind was "what shall we do with the drunken sailor". Speaking of substance abuse ... ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan Glasser

Hi, Peter.

The Newfoundland coin was a complete surprise. I don't think I have ever seen a picture nor heard of it before your kind posting. Thanks. It is in my radar now...zooming in on an acquisition.

Please read below the following photos.

The photos are of 2 of my more "dubious" music coins. The Enescu coin is unlisted in SCWC 2001-present. It was struck in silver (though mine is "Tombac") and is listed on www.romaniancoins.org . I am proud to have contributed the tombac picture of the coin to that excellent site on Romanian coins. It has since been certified. I wish I knew the certification statistics on these 2 pieces. Can anyone help me out with that, please?

The Porumbescu coin is KM-177 (in silver) with a mintage of 500. Mine is again a tombac example.

I have tried to learn about the origin of the tombac examples and even contacted the mint in Romania and got an interesting reply. It would appear, though I am not positive, that these were struck under less than "official" mint sanction and from what I could glean from a couple of connections in Romania, the mintages are around 15. This all could be untrue but I have no other facts to go on. Perhaps someone out there knows the true story on the Tombac "coins". Trials? counterfeits? tourist pieces? Interesting that they were both certified (part of my free slabs when I belonged to the NGC club) by NGC as 500L (Lei). I have heard rumors that there are also gold strikes...but these would be above budget if they did exist. I do have the KM-177 in silver but not certified. 

So, there's the challenge. Any help would be appreciated!   Thanks!   Alan  ???

<k>

Slovakia. Won second prize in a competition to design a silver 10-euro collector coin to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ján Cikker.

http://www-ext.nbs.sk/en/banknotes-and-coins/euro-coins/news/results-of-the-contest/contest-10-euro-100th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-jan-cikker
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan Glasser

Coffeetime...that design is absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for posting. I am on the hunt for the mint site to see when it will be available to order. Alan

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Hey Alan, what do you think about these coins which are shaped like musical instruments? ;) Do they also fit into your collection?  :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Bimat on March 02, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
Hey Alan, what do you think about these coins which are shaped like musical instruments? ;) Do they also fit into your collection?  :D

Aditya

I am surprised to see these Dumroo coins of Ujjain  not even in Museums any where.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

This time, I tried to find the smallest music-related coin. The result is a lowly 14 mm. Bavarian heller 1793. The one on the picture is in a pretty good state. More worn coins should go for around $10.

So why is it music-related? Because it was struck during the reign of Karl-Theodor of Bavaria, whose remarkable love of music even before pop was invented is described here.

It helps that in the 19th century KM, KT is spelled Karl The Odor, that his favorite conductor was named something like Cannabis and that he built a mosque in his back yard for the fun of it. His coins deserve to be collected.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan Glasser

Well, Peter. You have done it again. Even without the musical connection on this coin, it intrigues me enough that I will be on the hunt for one...Anyway, I did a bit of reading about the piece and found out it was restruck in Germany, I believe, in the 1920's. I wonder why? I was hoping to find one on E-Bay but no such luck...couldn't afford it anyway probably at this point...just bought a new Camry...but here's a link to the article about the restrikes
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38312e

(I just tried this link and it didn't seem to work...but I typed in Finland 1918 and I got right to the article.)

Anyway, my wife and I are going on a Scandinavian cruise this summer (Estonia, St. Petersburg, Russia, a bit of Germany and England included) and I really didn't have a "coin shopping list" until now as musically, I think I have the countries pretty well covered. I'll post a picture of my favorite Scandinavian music coin below), So, thanks. Pete. Now I have a shopping mission while on the cruise.   This would make a prettygood addition to the :"Owls on Coins" subject too. I wonder if I can cut and paste the pictures?? I'll try. Alan   ;D

<k>

Here are the two remaining Beatles.

Alan Glasser

Avery comical little coin. I spotted it once on E-Bay for a couple of dollars...I guess he sold it...and had a lot of bids...because now they are listed (at last check) for around $30. No thanks. Of course I'm on the hunt for one...but refuse to pay that kind of price for a very minor coin. Guess I'm cheap like that.

Alan

<k>

<k>

The instruments that accompanied the winning song.  8)

Alan Glasser

Hi, coffeetime.

Neat little coin...just found one on E-Bay so it's on it's way. Now the fun will be identifying the instruments on the coin. Very often a real challenge.

Thanks  Alan in freezing drippy, windy, wet, soggy, foggy, miserable Massachusetts.