News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Japanese 500 Yen 'Prefecture' Series

Started by Bimat, January 16, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Japan is currently issuing a series of 47 500 yen commemorative coins-with the theme 'Prefectures of Japan' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan). Some of the coins have already been issued, Their designs are quite appealing, but the e-bay prices (Around $15 each) is equally frustrating.

I wonder if these coins are circulating issues or NCLTs only? If these are circulating coins, then why are they so expensive? Low mintage? High demand? Or both?  ???

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

The Japanese mint has some information about these coins: (Including images)

http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/coin/international/prefecture/index.html

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Alas, they don't circulate. You buy them in the coin department of department stores and AFAIK they are not distributed outside Japan. I am lucky to have just one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Thanks for the image ;D

they don't circulate.

So it means they don't circulate because they are NCLT or they can theoretically circulate but practically can't (just like euro collector coins issued for face value)?

Pity that I won't be able to get them :'( (Unless I make a trip to Japan ;D)

Aditya

Figleaf

FWIW, I have never seen them offered at face. Makes sense to me. These 500's are different size/weight/metal from the circulation coins, so vending machines won't take them and Japan loves its vending machines.

The Japanese market for coins seems to be very thin and to a large extent coin collectors also collect stamps. The typical Japanese stamp collector will do modern commemorative stamps only, as the older definitives are very expensive. They may have carried over their habits to coins.

It's a shame we don't have any Japanese members...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

One day I might seek out the Ibaraki one as a curiosity, as I used to live there, but otherwise it's just more medallic stuff to clog up the market for me ...

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on January 16, 2011, 09:10:05 PM
It's a shame we don't have any Japanese members...
We do have a Japanese member, but he's not active for more than one year.. :-X

Aditya

gxseries

They do circulate but they get snapped up awfully quick by the public. As far as I know, even the Japanese 1000 yen silver olympic coin (not just 100 yen) were even released to the public in 1964 but got hoarded immediately. Sometimes you might be lucky to find any commemorative coins in circulation but it's quite uncommon even though they are released in terms of millions. Trust me, I couldn't find any in circulation while I was there!

malawi

hello !
A question please :

This coin : Japan 500 yen 2008 , to commemorate Japan-Brazil year   , is circulating issue or nclt ???

http://www.gcoins.net/en/catalog/view/10843

Bimat

It should be a circulating commemorative (should circulate at least in theory) but I'm not sure. :-X

http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/operations/coin/index.html

Aditya

malawi

Bimat

Finally got the six issues of 2010. (Fukui, Gifu, Kochi, Saga, Aichi and Aomori) They are absolutely beautiful! Once all the 47 coins are issued, the complete series will really look very cool! 8)

Aditya

pingu

Hello,

here 2 Scan's of the already appeared coins of this nice series.
Not in sequence...

Greetings
pingu

Bimat

Thanks a lot for the scans! They are absolutely beautiful! Another interesting series to collect! 8)

Aditya

Bimat

Raw unc pieces can be had for face, carded BU and proof coins cost more. Another strange thing is that Japanese mint will not ship BU and proof coins to Japanese addresses, so a Japanese collector will have to buy them from dealers. (Even Japanese dealers can not order directly them from Japan mint)...

Aditya