News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ducat

Started by Luis, July 16, 2010, 09:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luis

Hi,

I've been thinking that my first gold coin should be a Dutch ducat. I would like to ask for some advice about that.

Is it easy to order one through the Dutch mint website? Are they overpriced there? Are they going to mint one in 2010?

Also, how likely is it for it to value/devalue?

Thanks,

Luís

Ukrainii Pyat

I know that Nederlands Munt minted some in 2009, but on their site I couldn't find yet any mention of the 2010s.  But I am navigating around in Dutch which I know a little bit of, but not enough.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Luis

Yeah, I have the same problem when visiting the Dutch mint website. The difference being that my knowledge of Dutch is zero.

... actually, now that I think of it, I do recall that back in 2004, during the Euro Cup in Portugal, a nice old man from the Netherlands taught me some very interesting words...  >:D

Figleaf

You can get an understandable translation by using Google. To see the home page in English, use this link. If that fails, I'll help.

In general, ducats dated 1960 or later are not meant for circulation, while earlier ones were used either for payments or for small scale gold hoarding. You can buy ducats from Dutch dealers, like this one, offering a 1638 Zeeland piece.

I don't think the gold is overpriced in general, but it pays to shop around. By buying from a reputable Dutch dealer, you are guaranteed never to get a bargain, though. They know their stuff. They will also not sell you an imitation. The best way to check if a dealer is reputable is to check their guarantees. Minimum should be three: a) coins are genuine b) coins are as described c) money back guarantee (within a time framework and in dealer's packaging).

These coins are generally cheaper in Indonesia, but chances of buying an imitation are pretty high.

Peter

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ukrainii Pyat

The last ducats that were made for trade and not collectors were the ca. 1927 and 1928 dated coins - and there are huge numbers of them out there.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Luis

Interesting. I think I'll buy one this year. The pictures from that dealer are not good enough to make a decision, though. Do you have experience with him?

Also, could you translate the grading notation, please?

He also has some of those pretty Wilhelmina gold coins scottishmoney showed yesterday.

Figleaf

I know Hans Verschoor as a reliable and knowledgeable dealer. Click here for another reputable Dutch dealer.

FDCFleur Du CoinUncirculated
PPrachtigEF
ZFZeer FraaiVF
FFraaiF
ZGZeer goedVG
GGoedGood
RedelijkFair
SlechtPoor

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.