News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Japan 33 (1958) 10 Yen

Started by UK Decimal +, January 13, 2010, 09:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK Decimal +

Here's another.

Non-ferrous, so probably bronze with a diameter of about 23mm.

I hope that I've marked obverse/reverse correctly.

Bill.

EDIT: Title.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

africancoins

Japan 10 Yen Showa Year 33.

Obverse correct. The top three characters on that side say "Dai Nippon" (Great Japan).... as far as I remember.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

UK Decimal +

Great information.   Can anyone 'translate' the date (19??), please?   To show that I've tried, would it be 1958?

Bill.

EDIT: I've since been told that 1958 is correct.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Prosit

I am having trouble dating one too.  I assume since it has a reeded edge it is 1951-1958.  But how do you determine the date and which characters are the date anyway?

Dale

bart

Look at the characters below the denomination: the first 2 characters mean "Showa" (the era of Hirohito), followed by 2 (x) 10 (+) 7 and a last character meaning "Year". So this is Showa 27 or 1952 AD.

Figleaf

The other characters are DAI NIHON - Japan (above) and 10 yen - denomination (below)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

OK so look at this one.    1959?

Dale

Figleaf

Congratulations. All correct. However, the Japanese would not write or pronounce the name of the emperor, so the coin says Showa (the name of the reign), rather than Hirohito, but it amounts to the same thing.

Peter

Prosit

In spite of collecting for a long time, I never actually attempted to understand anything on coins written in other than my native alphabet.  I have owned Japanese coins in the past but never wrote a date on the holder  :) 

Dale
(not to old to learn)

Figleaf

Great going, Dale. Try a Chinese or Korean coin now.

Peter

Prosit

I have one coin from China; a 2001 1-Yuan and the date is not in Chinese.
And I have one coin from South Korea, a 1986 10-Won and the date appears to be both in script and
Western Arabic...so not a challenge.  I have nothing from N Korea yet.

Two Japanese coins, three from Bangladesh, two from Bahrain and one from the UAR are all I have that aren't in Western Arabic.

But the week is just starting  ;D

Dale

Figleaf

The fun thing is that the Chinese and Koreans use the same characters for the same numbers. Also, some of these characters (1, 2, 3 and 10) are not difficult to remember if you know Roman numbers (I, II, III and X). The numbers are all in KM's introductory pages. Arabic numbers are not too difficult to pick up either. Just watch out for some Persian variants of the four and five.

Peter